Simple Simon

New Traffic Free Route to Oswestry...

Gobowen to Oswestry Cycle/Walkers Path  

15 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Do you think its a good idea?

It's getting so expensive using the car or public transport to travel into Oswestry. I'm looking for support to get a tarmac path suitable for walkers, wheelchairs, mobility scooters and cyclists constructed alongside the disused railway line linking Gobowen to Oswestry. The concept is to either get a brand new underpass built to go underneath the bypass, or to use the existing tunnel close to Oswestry Showground. The idea is to have a free to use safe and direct route into town.

I cannot do this alone. I need the people of Gobowen to send me a message of support.

If you think it's a good idea, then please say "Yes" here. If you think it's a bad idea, then say "No".

For further detailed information go to the "£5million Sustainable Transport Grant" thread.

Many thanks for your help.

I posted something some months ago when I'd read about this in the local paper. I said then that I thought it would be a real asset to the area, and I still do. Not only for people from Gobowen travelling to Oswestry, but also for people from Oswestry cycling, etc to the train station in Gobowen.

The sooner this is created the better as far as I'm concerned, so, yes please! You have my full support.

As someone who spends most of my time promoting walking I think this is a great idea, but am not sure how you are going to be able to cross the A5 safely..............

Lots of discussion about the details and the route across the A5 HERE but I think SimpleSimon is just using this topic for a show of support.

Just wanted to add that although I have only vote once with a YES, there are 6 of us in our family and we all would LOVE to be able to ride our bikes safely to Oswestry from Gobowen!! - current safest route is past Betty's coffee shop, past park hall farm, then turn right up to the A5 then along past Kwik fit. (reduced 60mph limit exposure) Cycling with the children along this route still makes me VERY anxious especially when crossing the A5 as there is only just space in the middle for my bike to fit pulling the child trailer. I just hope they listen and implement the suggestion!

Just wanted to add that although I have only vote once with a YES, there are 6 of us in our family and we all would LOVE to be able to ride our bikes safely to Oswestry from Gobowen!! - current safest route is past Betty's coffee shop, past park hall farm, then turn right up to the A5 then along past Kwik fit. (reduced 60mph limit exposure) Cycling with the children along this route still makes me VERY anxious especially when crossing the A5 as there is only just space in the middle for my bike to fit pulling the child trailer. I just hope they listen and implement the suggestion!

I am very desperate for every "Yes" vote, so although the cards only have space for a Yes or No vote for one person (sorry, my fault), your family can either vote here or stick their names on a piece of paper and post it in one of the special boxes in four locations around the village.

As cycling to Oswestry safetly, I've tried directly along Gobowen Road and found it to be very unsafe. I tend to walk my bike across the roundabout. I've also cycled through the grounds of the Derwen College, along Twmpath Lane, through Park Hall and along the Whittington Cycle Route to Oswestry (but, as you know, it's still very difficult getting across that roundabout to).

In Gobowen we're cut off from the town by the bypass. As petrol prices continue to rise it's going to get harder and harder to get to town cheaply. I really need your help and the help of you whole family. Many thanks for your support.

I think this is an excellent idea and I am all for it. However it has to be borne in mind that the proposed reopening of the rail link between Gobowen and Oswestry is now likely to proceed and I am doubtful that the existing route is wide enough to accommodate both the rail line and a foot/cycling path. I am a keen walker and cyclist and often cycle into Oswestry (trying not to get killed by the excessive speed of most motorists) but I do give priority to the reinstatement of the rail service if both cannot be accommodated.

Rob.

Hi Robmit,

Did you vote in the poll at the top?

Without wishing to hijack the thread which is supposed to just be a YES or NO response, is the proposed plan to have a proper rail link from Oswestry on to the Wrexham - Shrewsbury line? or more of hobby/heritage line?

Hi Lee,

I have now said a definite YES!

I am reporting the news concerning the reinstatement of the line as reported in the Oswestry & Border Chronicle of Thursday November 8, 2012.

Rather than post an epistle on this site I am happy to send you a copy of the article if you wish.

Regards,

Rob

Selattyn & Gobowen Parish Council are doing a "Review of Gobowen Community Infrastructure Projects" consultation. They sent out a flyer with the last issue of the parish newsletters asking for people to suggest any additions/ammendments to an existing list of identified priorities. Suggestion boxes were placed in Gobowen Library and Gobowen Post Office (similiar to my "Ballot Boxes" for the poll of a new traffic free route) over the Christmas period and I collected the sealed boxes earlier this afternoon.

As I was walking back to my car from the Post Office I was swinging and shaking the box to see if there were any respondents...and one shot out! It featured a name, the word "YES" in big bold letters on a piece of note paper headed "Millennium Festival of Cycling" with the website www.cyclingfestival.org.uk

I peered into the slit at the top of the box and found another similiar sheet so carefully fished it out. It was another vote "Yes" with a different name on the same sort of paper.

So I'm taking that as a further 2 votes for the traffic free route from Gobowen to Oswestry. That makes the total "Yes" votes here to 15 making a grand total of 255 votes in favour.

I've put these votes back in the sealed council boxes ready to be formely opened at the next parish meeting on Wednesday.

Although all ballot boxes have now been removed, you can still vote for the route here on community-online.

Top idea, I walk alot from Gobowen to Oswestry with my children, 4, 2 and 9month in stroller, that road into Oswestry is so dangerous, and the footpath is laughable, usually have to fight with the overgrown hedge just to stay on it, albeit, a lot drivers seen to be sympathetic and give me a wide birth but some are just stupid and drive at stupid speed, children, especially mine at there ages are unpredictable too and its a nightmare walking to town so a designated footpath would be a godsend....Top Idea Sir....