Sign in to follow this  
Gardner

Wot's Gobowen Got?

I thought I'd start a thread listing all the things Gobowen has. These are just the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Please feel free to add any that I've forgotten.

A Co-op, a convenience store in West Place, a pub, a working mens club, 2 hairdressers, a barbers, a sandwich shop, a Chinese takeaway, an Indian takeawy, a Fish & Chip shop, a Post Office, a Scouts Hut, a Railway Station with links to Chester and Shrewsbury, an accountant, an architect, 2 churches and a chapel, a pavilion with playing field, a MUGA pitch, a river, a hospital, a college for students with learning difficulties, a dentist, a pharmacy, 2 care homes, allotments, a primary school...

It's got a lot:

Library, easy (very) links in and out for work (A5 and Railway).

Heritage

Scenery

Wildlife

what is that lovely oast house(?) behind the pub used for?

Forest school at school

Interested to know Gobowen School now has a Forest School! I've been interested in the idea behind Forest Schools since I read about them a few years ago. Might have to check it out a bit more. Is it in the grounds of the school, or somewhere near by?

Out the back of the school they have a big long area with trees and open spaces, and areas for activities, we had an LJC at the school once and I was surprised at how much land the school had, and how they were using it.

Don't forget The Green Room Youth Project at the Gobowen Pavilion on Wednesday evenings between 6.30 and 8.30pm. except the second wednesday in the month,

we now have a new pool table and table tennis table, come and have a game or just chill, everybody is welcome the more the better!!!!

Yeah, and Oswestry Town Council have been looking to redraw boundaries so that they can have the hillfort and develop visitor facilities. The boundary goes around the side of the hillfort along the lowest rampart.

Edited by Maggie

@Simon, there's Bryn-y-castell coppice too... Speaking of the meadows... what's the story there??? Does anyone own it? I know it's a lovely wild area but it's a bit of a mess, it could do with something grazing on it just to keep it tidy.

There's another one for the list... we've got allotments!

Gobowen has a second ATM. It's located in the window of Gobowen Post Office and is accessable to all.

It's a pity that the local Post Office doesn't offer more proper banking services. I worry about the security of banking online and I don't really enjoy having to travel into town to check my account. I would be far happier having an account with the my local Post Office that gave me the same benefits as a normal bank account but backed up with the security of Government backing.

I don't really accept the argument that it is non-competitive. After all, as tax payers, don't we have majority stake in many of the large banks anyway?

Whilst getting my pension at Gobowen Post Office this morning I asked the lady on the counter if the new ATM charges for use. The answer was no, which is as it should be.

The one outside the Co-op in Gobowen does charge.