Nickie1981

Would you like some money for an idea that will benefit your local community?

We are looking for 'Star People' who we can award funding to for great ideas to improve their local area.

Are you a community and social entrenpreneur who we can help expand and grow your idea with money and support?

Shropshire RCC is working with UnLtd Star People to identify potential individuals in the Three Parishes area who have a 'can do' attitude, who know their area, who have a great idea that responds to an issue or opportunity in the local area and who are passionate about making a difference.

There are 3 different awards -

Try It - small amounts up to £500, which will be awarded to individuals to try out their ideas to improve their local area.

Do It - awards up to £5,000. Unltd Star People who have completed Try It award may now feel confident enough and have honed their ideas to be able to develop their project. Others may come straight in at this level as they demonstrate they have the energy and skills to take forward an idea that has some project planning already.

Build It - awards up to £15,000 to individuals who have an established social venture or community project.  

If you are interested in finding out more about the awards, please contact Nickie Edwards at Shropshire RCC on 01743 237872 or email nickie.edwards@shropshire-rcc.org.uk

Hi Maggie,

We're the Star Partner for your area, Andy is still involved. But we're identifying local Star People and supporting them :)

Might be a good idea to meet up about the group so we can find out more about it all?

Let me know when's best.

Regards, Nickie

Thanks Simon and Lee.

Yes Maggie we are based in Shrewsbury at the Business Park but our work covers Shropshire. We can always come out to you if you want to meet up. We have only recently got involved and need to come up and get to know the area better and meet some local people. We can offer additional support as Shropshire RCC. As an organisation we have a Social Enterprise Business Outreach Coach, Shropshire Volunteering Team, a Funding Advisor , so there is lots of support available.

I attended a short training course toward the end of last year about consulting the community at SCC (and they were using the Gobowen Playing Field consultation resources as one example) and not long after I was having a chat with Andy and he stated that UnLtd had been in talks with the organisation.

I've had this ongoing conversation with Andy about how they spread the word, and I've always argued that UnLtd are not reaching the sorts of people they need to reach. By that I mean, most, if not all of us (here) are in some way involved in the community. I know that UnLtd are pro-active in that they actually go into the communities and speak to different people at a variety of events

I don't have any answers, but I guess conversations need to take place in local nurseries, pubs, shops, the Post Office etc. My big fear is that, horror or horror (gulp)...councillors will get involved (ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

The Big Local has the same problem...(cubed).

That looks like a good topic Lee, thanks for that. I'll have a trawl through it in a bit. We are looking for all sorts of groups in your area like parent and toddler groups, art clubs, post offices, supermarkets, libraries which we can come to and meet people who may be interested. If you have any suggestions that would be great. Would you all be up for a meet up soon ?

I work flexible hours, so anytime is fine by me. But I suspect the others are limited to weedends and evenings.

By the way, Paul (the photography guy) is also an UnLtd award winner as is Heather Noble, currently the Chair of Oswestry Chamber of Commerce.

There are other people too, who have, or are, thinking about projects; 

I am concerned at CCS running this because in the past they have had little to do with our area and are not up to speed with our unique and distinctive needs,  I know that in the past (and currently)  I have got my support for funding searches and project development via AVOW in Wrexham, which is much closer for courses etc. and understands declining post industrial villages.

http://avow.org/

There is a lot of useful info on their site, 

Nickie1981

I would be OK for a meet up with your team and other UnLtd people in the area.  I know quite a few of them already :)

Would also be great if you could direct local people to this forum.  I can drop you a few CO cards/flyers for you to hand out if that would be OK.

Hi Lee,

We'd be happy to hand out your fliers. As a starting point we're going to be at Gobowen Library on Tuesday 16th July between 10am - 1pm, could we meet up then or is there another time better for you?

Regards, Nickie