Wednesday 13th February 2013 , 2.00pm, Weston Rhyn Institute

1.Apologies for absence

2.Declarations of interest

3.Minutes of the meeting 8th January 2013 and matters arising

4.Website – progress report

5.Youth Forum – consideration of two proposals, and decision to appoint

6.Business Forum Development

7.‘Quick Wins’ projects – progress update

8.Partnership development – possible partnership ‘models’ to follow (document attached) 9.Community Vision, Community Plan.

10.Date of next delivery group meeting and venue

Want to download this agenda? You can here BL Meeting Agenda 13-02-2013.pdf

Details of the February Meeting:

Website: A test version is available online but still missing content. Sue Scofield will be editing the St. Martins side of the site whilst the other will be handling Gobowen. Mention was made of approaching Lee Barnfield to edit the Weston Rhyn side as nobody has volunteered.

Business Forum Development: David has produced a spreadsheet of as many busineses in the Big Local area that will be used as a community resource. Talk of uploading the details to the website once permission has been granted. Talk also of getting busineses giving children attending St. Martins School work experience and providing tips and ideas on how to perform in a job interview. 

'Quick Wins' Projects: I.T. to Work provided by Mark Shone and David Boyce at the Institute at Weston Rhyn to start soon and run for 12 weeks on Monday afternoons (baring Bank Holidays). Talk of also introducing a 'Car Sharing Scheme'. Potential 'Quick Win' ideas open days at universities and help for "gifted & talented" knocked on the head.

Partnership Development: A proposal to put together a list of agencies and individuals to represent areas within the Big Local.

Community Vision: A submission by Nick Heard:

Operating Priorities:

• The partnership will endeavour to ensure that the community is so well informed that it can't possibly say "no-body told us about..." (any events, activities or social facilities in the area).
  • We will endeavour to ensure that all funding/grant opportunities are being maximised.
  • We will endeavour to maintain a clear view of the communities' attitude to any developments relating to "Big Local".
  • We will endeavour to maximise opportunities ofered by social enterprise activities.
  • All our activity will support and promote "sustainability"; this includes the nature of projects, maintenance and replacements of capital items, recycling and renewable power sources.

Visions (under discussion). In ten years time:

• Levels of academic and professional qualification to all ages match or exceed the national average.
  • There is a wide range of activities for young people to improve health and wellbeing, and eliminate anti-social behaviour.
  • The area profits from, and is not held back by, it relative rural position.
  • There is a vibrant enterprise culture with successful business starts up to or exceeding the national level.
  • All community buildings are operating as social enterprises to the extent that all routine and maintenance costs are covered.
  • Democracy...!? is working much more effectively.
  • There is adequate affordable housing.

Youth Forum: Angela Bright made reference to lack of youth provision since the old club folded. She mentioned the efforts of Lee Barnfield to keep the club going against unfair odds in relation to anti-social behaviour being blamed on the club by some villagers. 2 proposals were submitted for consideration from Sue Heard and SYA. Mention was made of Sue's "imaginative" submission against SYA's more structured agenda. However, they agreed to go with Sue's bid. Although she doesn't have an ASDAN Award it was felt that her local knowledge and experience was more favourable than the prescriptive nature of the SYA proposal.

The next meeting will probably be on Wednesday 20th March at 7pm in Gobowen.

Edited by Simple Simon

The Aqueducks project was mentioned in passing.

I've asked David to publish a list of people he's been talking to in relation to the Big Local (names, organisations/business and village) but he's against it.

I think it would generate conversation and debate.

I had good day yesterday representing Aqueducks at launch of new HLF grant scheme, called Sharing Heritage and about empowering communities to run projects on their heritage.  Easy to apply for up to £10,000. There is money in there specifically for the development of a heritage group. Was interviewed by Michael Wood (Cor..)  in front of lots of important people and got to bang on about my pet ideas about community capacity (to go for funding) and whose heritage? (i.e. something like the canal WHS has a life and a story after being built at the start of the Industrial revolution).  A lot of this, and what this new grant scheme is part of, is related to what Big Local is trying to do.  Ideas anyone? e.g. Rose queens, Mining stories, Weston Rhyn paper mills, Bronygarth kilns... Anyone in this area who has a good heritagey idea get in touch with me if they want my help.  Another of the 3 featured projects was about the history and stories from Salford pubs for example and I'm sure lots of people would be up for a pub based project.

http://www.hlf.org.uk/HowToApply/programmes/Pages/SharingHeritage.aspx#.USTx6B3QA1M

Edited by Maggie

OK, a project to collect and digitize old photographs, and link them up with present day views, using community online as the 'group' sounds like it would work.  There is quite a lot of work involved because Neville used other collections of photos, and doesn't reference this and copyright would need to be assured.  Suggest you link/store the digital archive to Peoples Collection in Aberystwyth and Shropshire Archives.  Maybe end result to be a small book about the changing face of Weston Rhyn?  Sound like a project?  

HLF have kept their system of preapplication for this small grant scheme, so you save some time by doing a quick preapplication first, rather than with the similar Awards for All where you have to fill in the big form at the beginning.

NB this grant can also be used for biodiversity.

This from the Big Local:

The first round of consultation carried out in 2011/2012 has been analysed and the following 6 priorities for the 3 communities have been identified. We would like your opinion on how valuable or otherwise these ideas are to YOUR community. (You are then asked to rate the following in terms of importance 0, 1, 2 or 3):

Help all ages to become better educated and qualified for life, both in and out of work.

Help to develop "gifted and talented" young people in local schools?

Provide job interview practice with local businesses?

Encouage more "out-of-school" activities to help the health and well-being of our young people.

Saturday afternoon films for young people?

Open the swimming pool in the summer holidays?

Support access to affordable housing.

Set up an organisation to develop low cost dwellings?

Help the area get the best out of its rural position.

Car sharing scheme to help people to get to work cheaply?

Produce an advertising campaign to attract visitors to our heritage sites?

Support lots of new and established businesses so they can employ more local people.

Set up business forum to swap business opportunities?

Set up a locally available business advice service?

Help those run community buildings so that they can more ably support themselves.

Develop a commual marketing campaign to encourage more use of the buildings?

Get solar panels on all appropriate community buildings?

Tell us, have we missed anything? Have you any suggestions?

The feedback form doesn't ask information of who you are or which community you live in. Send your comments to David Boyce, 3 Parishes Big Local, Qube, Oswald Road, Oswestry, SY11 1RD.

...or post your comments/observations here.

Couple of things what I think ie films for young people can't we put mini bus on for people to use once a month to Wrexham to watch films..
And people ask me what about open up the unit/shed at st martins school for older people to learn brick work, plastering etc so they could look for better work and they could help out the young ones In return just I thought

Thanks
Keith

Simple Simon

Are you also acting on behalf on the Big Local now?  You are a very busy man!  Maybe your request for prioritising the priorities needs to be separate topic to get some exposure. 

I think it also needs a guide to the importance level.....  0 is Not Very Important, 1 is.... etc. etc.

Trying to think if this can be set up as an online thing, don't think the Poll feature on Community Online will deal with the priority system.... I will look into it.

No, I'm not acting for Big Local. The feedback form was thrust into my hand as I was leaving the LJC last night. I just think people would be interested on here.

The hardcopy I have has an input graph for each question. So, "0" is "Not" and "3" is "Very". It may be difficult to actually do a poll here. But Keith's input is good.

I can see what the BL are trying to do in terms of the projects they're looking at. But, well...umm....ahhh.

People already know I'm like a stuck record.

Maybe that's the trouble with some of these groups....  stuck records when everyone today is using MP3....

Looking forward to seeing a website, any news on a launch date?

I was taking the minutes at the last meeting of Big Local. These will be published when they have been agreed at the next meeting so I feel I am unable to comment on the the notes written by Simple Simon.

Next meeting - Wednesday March 20th - 7.30pm. Venue to be confirmed. PLEASE ALL COME AND HAVE YOUR SAY.