Sign in to follow this  
Fisherman

Parking in Weston rhyn

With an increase in population this situation can only get worse. An ever growing village with only one real main road.

The school problem is a very limited time, just 20 - 30 mins a day. The post office area is indeed a problem.

However, I think the main problem is due to peoples lack of road knowledge and common sense.

I think the parking problems will not go away and that radical action is needed: disabled parking only outside post office / chip shop / Celebrity and double white lines along the road both sides for about 200 metres. This means that shoppers must park further away but it will only be 200m - surely most people can walk that far. the main problem here is that if you are moving from the bottom end of the village and overtaking the long row of parked cars, its sometimes not possible to see oncoming traffic until you are at the chip shop and then you have no where to get in to allow oncoming traffic the right of way. White lines are the only answer.

School parking - allow parking on school playing field for half hour from 8.30am to 9.00am and then again 2.50 - 3.20pm. Yellow hazard lines are not working and there is not enough Police presence to issue tickets at the right time. Issuing parking tickets will make people more aware for about 3 months, then they'll forget and park illegally again.

The school parking really isn't that bad. Yes there are are few people who park in stupid places but this is due to people not knowing the highway code or not having any common sense.

It is such a limited time, and doesn't warrant opening the field to parking. If it is such a problem to you adjust your travelling time.

Parish Council usually discuss this at meetings. Its a continuing problem. Last month I suggested a 20 mph speed limit past school and up through village would make things safer. Think that there are some good ideas from people on this site., so people why not come along to the next Parish Council meeting and ask about this in the public question time? Our County Councillors can then take the issues up with the county highways officers and the police.

Next meeting is March 12th at 7 p.m. in the Institutute.

To say that parking by the school isn't really an issue is one of the biggest understatements I have ever heard.staff leave thei cars on the road all day blocking driveways.the bus often gets stuck,even the fire engine has been stuck before now.best option utilise the school field.it has been done before when work was being carried out at the school and the area was much improved

This academic year the school have made the main entrance for children being dropped off and picked up on the Station Road side. This has improved congestion by spreading the load of parked cars round onto both roads and keeping the junction clearer. The school also does 'walking bus' to and fro. It doesn't alter the fact that too many people need to drive their children to and from school.

When our child was of junior school age we walked to and from school (with dog so killing 2 birds with 1 stone). Journey was about half a mile there and not beyond her capabilities even at the age of 5. The sad thing is that many parents still have the opinion that walking to school is "not safe". Perhaps if we tackled this misconception people would allow their children to walk instead of being driven to school.

Fisherman.... depending on who that is aimed at, I have live in Weston Rhyn for 35 years so am fully informed to make a judgement.

The traffic really isn't that bad, its a small village not the M25. I have driven through the village for 18 years, it just needs some patience and common sense applied.