Sign in to follow this  
neo

Use of Red Church

A few months ago I saw what I assume was a planning permission notice on the red church in Weston Rhyn. I didn't have time to stop and the next time I looked it had gone.

Anyone know what it is being used for and when?

Permission has been granted for the change of use of 2 rooms from sunday school to 'home education business'. The application is here

http://planningpa.shropshire.gov.uk/online-applications/files/AF0BB7E3271CC2CAB798FC5C106FE512/pdf/11_03136_COU-APPLICATION_FORM-1494612.pdf

Very low key and parish council took the view that it could only help maintain the building if some use was being made of it.

I got to the application form via the planning section of Shrops Council, try this link which should be the application, and then click onto documents, then application form.

http://planningpa.shropshire.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=summary&keyVal=LO86X8TD06Z00

Think it is problem of copying and pasting, because address of page is same as last time, if this doesn't work then you are going to have to go to planning, then online planning applications, then simple search, search for Quinta, then should have the planning application come up.

The applicant is George Falconer.

No idea, but who is George Falconer? Suppose first place to ask would be Quinta Church. Does anyone know who the architect was? Always thought it had the look of some of the gothic victorian buildings in and around Chester.

Answered my own question about who the architect was: someone called T.Raffles Davidson. Quinta Church has a good website, where there is 'reprint' of old article about its history (and lots of other interesting stuff about the evangelical revival in Wales). He is renowned as architectural illustrator, did a lot of those iconic drawings of arts and crafts buildings etc, such as Lutyens houses, that you see around, and also books about buildings and style (Google him if interested)

Institute has had enquiries from an evangelical church regarding hire of rooms, but have had to decline due to lack of parking and issue with drains at village hall - we don't think our old drains could cope with sudden increase of about 50 people 3 times a week. Have suggested they contact Quinta Church about the old Sunday School building.

The Quinta church/Sunday School has no or very limited parking. Nothing compared to what is available at the Institute. I think most of your parking trouble is that locals feel the need to drive there and some of their parking is terrible!

Would 50 people cause enough extra burden on the drainage system to turn down extra business??

50 person x 3 days a week would put a strain on the system which has a long-standing problem. Caretaker already has to lift the inspection lid on the chamber to keep a watch on the level. Had to call out Metrorod last year and there appears to be a problem in the road but Welsh Water don't want to know about it - they say it's not their responsibility, even though there is a problem in the middle of the road at the junction between Institute connection and their main sewer. This is a current discussion issue on the committee.

We will return to the person requesting rooms when the drains finally sorted. Don't forget the original drains are over 100 years old.

Parking: members of this church travel many miles each week and some in large vans / pick-up vehicles. Institute only has 17 places and so most of the church would have to park on the road anyway. They accept this.

Business: you are quite correct in that turning down new business is not good but we would have to negotiate with other groups before taking on this church as they want a mid week session as well as weekend sessions - who do we upset? Gardening Club? Youth Club? Bingo Group? I suggest we are following correct line of action presently which is to proceed with caution and resolve outstanding issues first.

I made inquiries into the use of the Sunday School and haven't really got anywhere..... promises of asking other people and trustees etc. but no real reply.

I was pretty much informed that is exclusively for christian use only...... which in itself doesn't seem very christian. Weston Rhyn Youthclub has an open to all policy.