Sign in to follow this  
Simple Simon

Public Transport

I sometimes use Arriva trains from Gobowen Station to get to Shrewsbury. It costs £6.60p return, off peak. The price went up twice during 2011. I'm asking myself "Is the service good enough?"

A lot of people use public transport in Gobowen to get into town, or to go to Wrexham and Shrewsbury. It would be useful to get some opinions on YOUR attitude to the services.

What's the price by bus to get to town and back from Gobowen (Arriva and Tanat Valley)?

Have prices for bus travel risen as steeply as by rail?

Are the routes convenient?

Are bus shelters suitable for purpose?

Do you get enough timetable information?

Do you feel weekend and evening services are regular enough?

Surprisingly high number of local people use Gobowen Station and value it as evidenced by Big Local Questionnaire. I've copied and pasted from the report, (which is available in the coffee lounge under 'Big Local').

Railway Station at Gobowen:

57% of respondents use the railway station at Gobowen occasionally, 18% never use it

and 17% use the station either weekly or monthly. This facility was rated as good by the

majority of respondents (48%, 143), the same number that rated this facilities as excellent

(24%) also rated it as satisfactory.

Chirk Station is also used a lot, but Gobowen Station wins out.

Railway Station at Chirk:

Responses were mixed in terms of use of the railway station at Chirk, 42% of

respondents never use this facility, whilst 32% use it only occasionally. Overall the station

was rated as good by most of those that use the facility (46%, 79).

Bus Service 70 is Oswestry to Shrewsbury and the adult fare is £2.80 single however there is a Midlands Day Saver that could be used at a cost of £5.20. Average journey time is 53 minutes.

The fare by train is indeed £6.60 and the journey time is approximately 20 minutes.

If you have views on the rail service you may be interested in joining the rail user group for this line - Shrewsbury Chester Rail User Association Chaired by Mr John Mattocks who can be contacted by post c/o Gobowen Station

I use buses and trains a lot. It's better value for money to travel to Wrexham by train than Oswestry by bus. This is based on the fact that a single ticket on the bus to Oswestry ( there is no return ticket) costs £2.00, a return train ticket to Wrexham is £4.80, there is a lot more choice in Wrexham. There are further savings if you have a railcard: for example with a family railcard 1 adult and 1 child return to Wrexham is £3.80, less than to Oswestry and back by bus.

Here are details of the latest fare rises on the trains (as of January 2013):

Gobowen to Shrewsbury goes from £7.10 to £7.50

Gobowen to Birmingham peak from £16.20 to £17.10

Gobowen to Birmingham off peak from £11.80 to £12.50

Gobowen to Chester £7.60 to £8.00