Sign in to follow this  
Maggie

Planning application for Spekes Field, Chirk Bank

(Yet another) planning application has gone in to put houses on Spekes Field in Upper Chirk Bank. Formidably well written application too. You can see it herehttp://planningpa.shropshire.gov.uk/online-applications/applicationDetails.do?activeTab=documents&keyVal=MAX3EYTDF0000

I think Angela will be arranging a Community Group Meeting in the near future to discuss this. Watch this space.

Yet again this issue arises. In the plans it states local school in easy walking distance (yes) if you wish to keep moving children and prams from pavement to pavement, buses (yes) if you want to spend £6.00 there and back to Oswestry. Cycling (yes) fine if you want to take on the traffic.

Angela has arranged for a meeting of Chirk Bank Community Group on Thursday October 11th at 7 pm (Chirk Bank Methodist Church School Room.) EVERYONE welcome.

Some key facts: The field lies outside the old Borough Council development boundary, and is considered open countryside, therefore only possible to develop agricultural housing or exceptionally (where there is need) affordable homes. Last time there was an application for this field, which was for affordable housing, the council survey showed that there was no need.

The application states that Weston Rhyn wants to be a 'cluster' under these new SamDev rules from Shropshire Council (i.e. not open countryside and can use land for development if it has been so designated during the SamDev process).

The key purpose of the SAMDev Plan is to:

• Identify sustainable growth targets for Shropshire's market towns
  • Identify Community Hubs and Community Clusters in the rural area where some further development will happen
  • Identify appropriate sites for future housing and employment development in market towns, community hubs and community clusters
  • Provide additional Development Management policies which can be used in the consideration of planning applications http://www.shropshir...0257922004CC8EE for information.

The application states that Weston Rhyn Parish Council have decided to be a cluster, but a single village cannot be a cluster, it needs to define what other villages are also part of the cluster, and then think about areas within the cluster that could be used for development, and put those forward for public consultation, none of which have happened yet. Weston Rhyn has been left out of the Council SamDev process so far, other parishes have defined areas for future development and there has been a long public consultation about this. It is also a moot point whether Chirk Bank IS part of Weston Rhyn Village from the point of veiw of Sam Dev;, the application refers to 'the village' without saying whether they mean Weston Rhyn, Chirk Bank or a combination of the both.

• Someone from Planning is attending the next Parish Council meeting on 15th October to discuss Sam Dev issues, from which the Parish Council will be able to make informed decisions about it's status. .

The application states that there are no wildlife issues... Well I have personally seen evidence of badgers (protected) and the field lies within the surrounds for the flashes, so is perfect habitat for great crested newts. Maybe people could let us know if they have seen anything?

Chirk Bank Community Group has done a questionnaire to assess whether local people want any further development, there is a poll on this site if you wish to respond. We can easily add new responses to what we have already.

As Laura has pointed out, there are a lot of misrepresentations about transport and access, e.g. it states that the site is within walking distance to Weston Rhyn Primary school, but no-one walks children over the narrow railway bridge on the way.. and I'd like to know about the early evening bus services.

If this application is passed then I fear it will open the flood gates for everyone and his granny to apply to build on the agricultural fields around Chirk Bank, and between Weston Rhyn and Chirk Bank.. I don't want to end up living in the 'burbs surrounded by people who are out-commuters and therefore have no time to be part of the community.

Edited by Maggie

Maggie,

Is the meeting a general one with this topic on the agenda, or has it been called specifically to discuss this topic?

Just thinking of posting an event in calendar and it can be posted to Twitter/Facebook etc for promotion.

• Someone from Planning is attending the next Parish Council meeting on 15th October to discuss Sam Dev issues, from which the Parish Council will be able to make informed decisions about it's status.

Actually reading your post again I spotted it.....

Should pay more attention :wacko:

Angela, a parish counciller for Weston rhyn and chirk Bank seems only interested in what happens in chirk bank . I spent over twenty five years living in chirk bank and then moved to Weston rhyn so believe I am in a position to comment on this situation.

Yes it would be a dire shame if building was allowed in this area as I do believe the requirement is not needed.Would ANgela be so concerned if the building was proposed in Weston rhyn,which is part of h er parish being a local counciller.I cannot comment o this but I have a good idea.

For many years Weston rhyn parish council was asking for new members and nobody came forward, when it it seemed chirk bank was an area building may take place Angela came forward.

I wish she spent the same amount of effort in caring about of the rest of the parish.

Come on folks lets keep the comments 'on topic' here.

The discussion is over planning of more housing in Chirk Bank, a topic which it appears you are all of the same opinion so why not work together on this one :)

Also worth noting that the meeting organised was a Chirk Bank Community Group and not a Parish Council Meeting.

It says in the Advertizer this week that at the North Planning Committee..'members will discuss a proposal to erect 7 dwellings on land at Chirk Bank, which is recommended for refusal due to its open countryside location despite receiving the support of Weston Rhyn Parish Council. More than 80 letters of objection have been received by Shropshire Council in relation to the scheme.'

Well, further to this, Cllr Bright has been speaking to the Planning Officers today, and actually, at the planning committee meeting, the decision was not (I repeat NOT) thrown out but deferred until after a site meeting by the councilors, despite recommendations by the planning officers. SO, it is all still ongoing. See http://www.facebook....196351593802788 for more details.

Edited by Maggie

Yes saw it in the Advertiser as well, also sent a tweet to Oswestry Chronicle stating exactly what the plans specified, because the agent for the site had said that everyone was against having any affordable houses, obviously the agent did'nt say that there was to be other buildings on the site including a five bedroomed property.