Parish Clerk

Road Safety Concerns

Residents of the parish are invited to contact the Parish Council with any road safety concerns they may have relating to roads in the parish.

These will then be considered by the Parish Council at the September meeting. If the Parish Council agrees to support the issues, those concerns will then be prioritised and sent to Shropshire Council for consideration as future road safety projects.

Please contact the Parish Clerk by 10.9.13 with any road safety issues you are aware of and wish to be considered

I'm currently looking into safety issues for people with disabilities crossing the main Gobowen Roundabout on the A5 and at traffic levels on said road in general. This is really to see how cut off the people on this side of the bypass are from Oswestry.

I have a feeling my research is more within the range of the Highways Authority than the parish council.

I would like to back you up on this Simon but I am not sure how to go about it.    I have my own concerns  over the speed at which drivers are allowed by law to risk the lives of others on our roads.

I live on the B5069 Gobowen to Ellesmere Road which I consider should be renamed as Death Alley.   Nearly every day I see the unnecessary slaughter of animals and the threat to human life caused the the excessive speed of so many unthinking, uncaring and inconsiderate drivers.

40 miles per hour should be the absolute MAXIMUM speed allowed on such roads and there should be a proportionate penalty for exceeding it;  bearing in mind the threat to human life.

There is nothing clever about driving at reckless speeds, any fool can do it, but driving a a sensible and safe speed requires common sense and decenfy and at least a modicum of intellignece.

If there is a need to arrive at a specific destination at a certain time then get up or leave in time to allow for it without risking other people's lives.

Rob   

I will be attending a meeting with Access next Tuesday morning from 10.30am at the Memorial Hall in Oswestry. I'm going to try and persuade them to look at the Gobowen and Whittington Roundabouts along the bypass in regard to people with disabilities (sight, hearing, mobility) to see what challenges they face getting to town other than by car or bus.