Sign in to follow this  
Liam Hope

Playing Fields

My partner took our 9 month old son and 2 other children down to the playing fields last week to use the play equipment available. To her surprise the fields were an absolute mess. The field was covered in cigarette butts, discarded beer cans, bottles (some smashed)and dog mess. after avoiding all the mentioned obstacles she arrived at the play area, which she couldn’t use as the lovely teenagers of Gobowen decided that they want to sit on the child’s swings and were not for moving (adding to more cigarette butts and beer cans). To top this lovely trip out to the play area, another small child who was there with her grandmother stumbled upon a nice gift that she wanted to show everyone....a used condom!!! what has happened to the playing fields?. who is responsible for maintaining the field including the cleanliness?

Edited by Liam Hope

I took my 3 year old granddaughter to the use the play equipment at Gobowen today. We arrived at the same time as the rain and found all the teenagers under the small play frame sheltering and chatting. Surely one answer would be to put a youth shelter some where on the field for them to use?

I am sorry that you have been experiencing problems with litter on the playing fields. The litter is regularly picked up on the field but it would seem that during the recent hot weather the amount of people using the field increased as did the amount of litter that was dropped. My colleague has recently increased the number of litter picks that he is carrying out on the field and as a result the field is much cleaner.

On another matter the youth shelter is located on the car park so that it can be used by young people in all weathers as during the winter months the field can be very wet. Unfortunately due to other priorities there are not funds in the budget to provide another youth shelter.