WAYNE

NEW WESTON RHYN PLAY EQUIPMENT.

There will be a flyer put in the next edition of the Wren (should be through your letterbox around the 27th of this month), asking everyone what they want to be included in the new playing area. Please respond and take the form to the village post office. This will form part of the consultation process. Have YOUR SAY and take part! Im hoping this will be completed late this summer.

•  

Is there a problem then because it would allow people to 'vote' more than once and so skew the results?  I thought that there was still a decision needed about the site, after LJC meeting I came away thinking that Shrops Council were needing to get a majority go ahead from Maes Alwyn/ Weston Rhyn.  

The best way to find out what is needed in terms of play equipment is to talk to the children who will use it, and their parents, not us old miseries who haven't got much idea!  

Edited by Maggie

Hi, its in the hands of Shropshire council now, there was a 100% vote for the equipment to go on the larger field (You must have missed that bit Maggie), and Shire hall will deal with the public consultation via the agreed method of flyers in the Wren, this way the WHOLE village will have one through their letter box, there for the WHOLE village has had the opportunity to partake and have an input. I appreciate all help offered, But not everyone in the village has access to this website. I just hope its done for this year!!

Hi Maggie,

ALL the children at Weston Rhyn WERE given a questionnaire at school, asking what they would like to see go on the site, this was then supposed to be passed to the local post office (Via the parents) after being completed, I think there was a sum total of around 28 returned! As far as I’m concerned the children were asked months ago, however there will be another consultation done for the WHOLE village (see post above), so there can be no moaning. I do certainly remember you being involved in a project with the school , where  the children designed what play equipment they wanted, you did say that you would turn up to my first Parish council meeting in May 2010 with this project to support me, however on that particular evening you had no recollection of this?  And even said that it wasn’t you I spoke to? 

I just wish that some people would finish things that they start, and follow matters more closely before they put their pennies worth in. 

I was involved in obtaining funds for play equipment over 23 years ago and we successfully placed equipment at Chirk Bank.  However, when we tried to get permission for play equipment to go in at Weston Rhyn then many people, even people with no small children of their own, tried to dictate where and what should be placed.  The members of our committee wanted play equipment placed at the end of Ashlands Road where there was a green space, or at the end of The Meads where a fence would prevent smaller children gaining access to the road, etc.  It was envisaged that children using the equipment would be supervised by parents or responsible people.  Public opinion went against us and despite recommendations from local play authorites, other "experts" on child play provision where it was mooted that the equipment should be close to the housing estates and in plain view of passers-by and parents; older and wiser people in the village and the then parish council said that the equipment should go on the "Rec" - even though our committee knew that the equipment would then be liable to vandalism and misuse.   There is a big problem with legal ownership of equipment being placed on Trust land (the Rec) - who is legally responsible for the maintenance and insurance of such, what about fencing and the cost of maintaining this?  Shropshire Council are still of the opinion (I believe) that as the "Rec" is Trust land, the council cannot recommend the placing of play equipment on this field.

However, I believe the "experts" on placing play equipment are right; the equipment should be close to the housing from which the children emanate.  Play areas must be easily seen from neighbouring property as this deters vandalism and the children playing there should be safer whilst playing as it is recommended that parent / responsible person supervision is vital.

I support play equipment for smaller children in among housing estates.  Older children should have equipment placed for them on a suitable well-lit and secure venue - if the legal aspect could be sorted out then the "Rec" is the perfect location as this is now a sports field rather than a playing venue for the under 8 year old.  The skateboarding / scooter facility at Chirk does seem to be well used and not subject to vandalism as the facility was on the "Rec"  was, as it is in full view of passers-by and users of the park.

In future perhaps the play areas should be built before the houses  are built / sold.  If you buy a house near to a play area then you will know that there may be noise from children nearby and that there will be ball games played.   A fait accompli may lessen arguments one way or another.