Sign in to follow this  

Maes Alwyn Play Area Proposal - Posted on behalf of Cllr Lloyd

After 10 years Weston Rhyn is still without a toddlers play area despite despite the availability of nearly £60,000 linked to the Maes Alyn development. Roughly half earmarked for equipment and the remainder for ongoing maintenance.Earlier this year there was a meeting to let those who now live within Maes Alyn get a picture of what a modern play area for youngsters up to 8 to 10 might look like.

Over the past decade there have been been petitions and meetings calling for play facilities for the youngsters of Weston Rhyn. Meanwhile it has not proved possible to get agreement on the use of money banked from Jones Bros the developers for play equipment within Maes Alyn.

While agreeable to their contribution being invested for a similar purpose elsewhere in the village this has not happened.

Quote from Cllr David Lloyd

In my second term as a member of Shropshire Council I see it as my duty along with others to try and find a way out of what is a stalemate situation.

Some wish to see some facility for toddlers sited in the estate. Others favour the recreation ground which lies on the edge of the village but for many would mean crossing the busy road that divides the village. The parish council are not in support of this suggestion

At a time when resources are short one would wish to make use full use of what is available.

It is a case of use it or risk losing it which is why your input will be most helpful.

There will be a display of the proposed equipment available at the Lovcal Joint Committee meeting next Tuesday 18.6.13 at St John's Church Weston Rhyn at 7.00pm. This topic is not intended to overide the normal running of the LJC meeting but any views will be heard and a way forward can be planned.

Edited by Julie Ruler

I think the provisions for young people generally in Weston Rhyn, and specifically with regards to play equipment is appauling.  When you take a look at what is provided in other villages in the area, Weston Rhyn really should be ashamed.

Petitions, meetings, consultations etc. is just red tape preventing the village from having even basic provisions for young people and the future of the community.

It's about time someone pulled their finger out and got it sorted.

Couldn't agree more!  I cannot understand why a few vociferous people can override the needs of the majority of children.  Children in Maes Alyn are allowed to play within the estate but not cross the main road on their own. There was land set aside for play equipment within the estate when it was built, so why oh why have people blocked the project now the money to put it in has been made available?  It doesn't make any sense to me.  

There will be a flyer put in the next edition of the Wren (should be through your letterbox around the 27th of this month), asking everyone what they want to be included in the new playing area. Please respond and take the form to the village post office. This will form part of the consultation process. Have YOUR SAY and take part! 

Selattyn & Gobowen Council have a good play area. A couple of years ago they went through a consultation process to gather information on what new equipment to buy. It involved setting up maps in the local school and library and doing open feedback sessions in the pavilion to get public feedback but results were inconclusive.

In the end, some items that were purchased proved very popular, others much less so. The site for the play equipment is well established, but I remember many people kicking up a fuss about the location of the new gossip shelter some years ago.

On a similar note, the MUGA can be a bit noisy with some kids constantly kicking a ball at the wire fencing. When the item was first built the council did get complaints, but these dropped off in time. But they've resurfaced with the construction and occupation of some of the new houses opposite on St. Martins Road. My guess is that properties purchased close to playing fields and play equipment are going to appeal more to young families rather than retired couples.

These are just observations that I hope are of some help.

I have responded to the previous article on play equipment as I was on the committee which raised money for this venture over 23 years ago.  I'm sure Mr Lloyd will remember our efforts - especially those of George Terry - and despite George being of a different political view than David you all did agree at the time that the need for play equipment in the village was a proven case.  Nothing has changed that opinion.  Sadly neither has the prejudice from some villagers when it comes to "not in my back yard".  People have told me that I wouldn't want the children playing near to my house - my response is YES I WOULD but as I am on a main road I don't think the Police would agree.  My husband and I took our child to huge playgrounds in Wrexham and the Wirral where children were welcomed.  This progressed to adventure parks, etc.  We were lucky we could afford the fuel costs but wouldn't it be great if children in the village didn't have to travel that far.