Sign in to follow this  
Simple Simon

Help Needed for Coastal Cycle Ride

It would be great to spend a summer day cycling around the coast of North Wales. Routes 5 through Conwy and 8 from Dolgellau to Barmouth look good.

The trouble is getting there!

Having asked at Gobowen Station about how many cycles a carriage can handle, the reply was just 2.

Are there any local coach companies that can do a good deal on carrying 15 or so cyclists with their cycles?

You may know that I have done a few cycle tours over the years and usually use the train service to get around the country to and from the chosen route. It can be a bit of a nightmare booking cycles onto trains especially when you have difference network providers and like you say many trains are limited to 2 cycles, On a few occasions we have split up and travelled separately.

We have used a minibus with cycle trailer, actually for our very first cycle tour along the Hadrians Wall cycle path, from memory it was 6-8 bike carrier. Can't say I have seen one around here though.

Yep. There are loads of cycle clubs in the area and I'm currently looking at trying to get a grant for a trailer (perhaps one that can carry at least 15 bikes) that everyone can use.

Then there's the problem of find a bus that can tow it, storage and insurance.

I'm sure it would be possible. The trains don't allow for more than two cycles on a carriage. The local mini bus hire company can only take 6 cycles. I'm sure a coach company would make money if they had a special service tailored to transporting large groups of cyclists. 

My car is too small to carry a bike, so it would be great to organise a group cycle ride around an area other than Oswestry.