Sign in to follow this  
Maggie

New car park in Gledrid, Damsons and Sculptures

The contractors are going to begin work on the new car park next to the canal in Gledrid next week, and should take 3 weeks weather permitting. They have promised to minimize disruption. Shropshire Council Highways Engineers have been really supportive to community desires to save some of the existing hedging, and have left the Shropshire Damson trees which are alongside the canal, and which most years give us a deliciously yummy free crop. They will leave some gaps so that we can plant some more fruit trees. (as part of Aqueducks project see this link

http://canalrivertrust.org.uk/get-involved/appeals/world-heritage-site-community-orchard

So we will end up with a car park cum community orchard which is really cool.

I want to put in some more Shropshire damsons, but also thought an apple tree would be quite nice. What does everyone think? AND I really need some volunteers to help with the planting this winter!

Once the car park is built we can think about installing the Jason Hicklin sculpture which is part of the Canal Etchings project. I am really excited and inspired by what this is going to look like having seen the almost finished sculpture last night at Jason's studio. Jason really gets what the canal, and its heritage, and the industrial past, mean to us all, and has come up with an exciting series of sculptures for the canal between Gledrid, Ellesmere and then down to Llanymynech. I was bowled over by them last night...you, dear reader, are just going to have to put up with some of the initial work which is on the website here,

http://www.thecanaletchings.com/gledrid/

Once everything is ready, then we shall have a celebratory event to 'launch' the new sculpture. Watch this space.

It's good they are going to keep the damson trees I only wish drivers would take their time coming up the road some cars recently nearly took me and my granddaughters out by going to fast along there the other week.

Oaklands Rd is now used as the route through to the A5, rather than going down through lower Chirk Bank. If you search online for route directions from Upper Chirk Bank or southern parts of Weston Rhyn this is the way they take you, so drivers drive as though it was a main through route rather than a narrow residential road. Only answer would be to block it off for cars half way down, and I'm not sure how many residents would want that.