Sign in to follow this  
Community Online

Village SOS Competition £10k - £50k Available

Information below from Village SOS website http://www.villagesos.org.uk/competition

Grants of between £10,000 and £50,000 will be available for projects in rural villages or small rural towns with fewer than 3,000 people. Voluntary and community groups or organisations (such as charities, village committees, associations, trusts, co-operatives or social enterprises) are all eligible to apply, as are parish, town or community councils, provided local residents have clearly shaped the project.

Wonder if any of our Communities are below 3000?

Can we enter seeing as it is Big Local funded?

Course we can, Chirk Bank is already registered for this site, but I suggest the other villages register now then they will get notifications. Some previous funded projects in other areas include bike hire, village community cafes, festivals, visitor centres, community transport, bulk oil buying; lots of the sort of thing we could do round here. It would just take a little organisation.

Community Cafe in Weston Rhyn would be great. Would it get used?

Institute would be brilliant with its Broadplace internet, and could have outside seating at the back or front.

Would need decent coffee though, oh and cakes. Maybe local produce??

LOL but is a good idea. I'm registered already as Chirk Bank (have been for ages because it is a useful site with a lot of support for small groups), can someone else register as Weston Rhyn?

A community cafe could also work as a food coop, and do meals on wheels.

Ok, peeps,

There is going to be a Village SOS roadshow in Shrewsbury on 15th May to tell people all about how to set up community organisations and get involved. If you click on this link you can book tickets. (It is Free)

http://www.villagesos.org.uk/uk-event/village-sos-roadshow-shropshire-education-and-conference-centre-shrewsbury

Maybe we should all liaise and all go together?

I think a local coffee shop/delicatessen would be great around Weston Rhyn. The recent opening of the Woodlands Cafe/Deli in Overton seems to have worked well, it's always busy....though they don't open on Sundays. I think they're missing a trick there.

The other thing I've often thought about is having an outlet for people that are veggie growers. A little "hub" if you will for people to sell any produce they've grown but can't use themselves.