Sign in to follow this  
Simple Simon

Help Create aTraffic Free Route from Gobowen to Oswestry

I expect many of you have read the updates I keep posting in the Sustainable Transport Fund thread over the past few years.

You may also be aware that it appears that the Office of Rail Regulation will not allow the use of the level crossing over the A5 for a passenger train. 

For some years I've been campaigning to get a section of the disused railway line between Gobowen and Oswestry used as a traffic free route suitable for walkers, wheelchairs users, mobility scooter users and cyclists. My reasons are that the traffic levels on the bypass are increasing all the time and are starting to isolate our communities from the town. The other main reason is that it belongs to Shropshire Council, so I believe it should be open and accessible to everyone in the county.

The trouble is Shropshire Council doesn't have the money to do anything with it. However, funds are available, but as an individual I cannot access them.

I want to put together a group of people who can help push this project forward and make it a reality. Please private message me if you can help or you know someone who may be interested.

Many thanks.

Many thanks.

Setting up and funding a small steering committee shouldn't be a problem, especially in the area in which we live, but setting up a constitution that would be acceptable to a large scale funder will be more problematic. 

With this in mind I'm currently looking at a couple of options with existing and established associations with the hope and expectation that they'll see the merits of the project and back us.