Sign in to follow this  
Robmit

A5 ROUNDABOUT AND THE B5069

There seems to be a 50/50 split between users of the route B5069 between GOBOWEN and OSWESTRY on how to negotiate the most dangerous roundabout where the route crosses the A5 going towards Oswestry.

There are different interpretations in the various Google guides on UK roundabouts, but the general consensus appears to favour getting into the right-hand lane (signalling right of course) ONLY when intending to turn right i.e., towards Wrexham which makes sense to me!

Clearly one would get into the left-hand lane (indicating accordingly) for taking the routes to the Orthopaedic hospital and on to the A5 towards Maesbury.   However, for going straight over and continuing on the B5069 towards Oswestry it is also recommended getting into the left hand lane without signalling until level with the A5 and then going left towards Oswestry which also makes sense to me!   However there is an alternative which is to get into the right-hand lane without signalling and going straight over.   The problem is that without clear advance lane indications on the Gobowen side of the roundabout the two methods often coincide!

I hope I haven't made this unnecessarily complicated but opinions would be welcome as I have asked around and it does appear that there is no definite rule in the Highway Code which seems a dreadful omission.

The advance warning signs when approaching Maesbury roundabout are very clear and now that the B5069 has become a racing track such signs would be very welcome to avoid punch-ups and verbal abuse which ever lane one uses!

Good Luck everyone!

Rob.

I can only tell you what I do. I cannot tell you whether it's right or wrong:

Going from Gobowen to Oswestry I stay in right hand lane and indicate a RIGHT. I enter the roundabout and keep to the centre still indicating a right until I've just past the A5 exit, then I indicate a left to let people waiting to come onto the roundabout that I'm exiting.

On the way back from Oswestry to Gobowen I stay in the LEFT lane but I don't indicate. I stick to the outside of the roundabout and indicate a left once I've passed the exit to Wrexham.

In both cases I'm really keeping to the same road (in other words, going straight over the roundabout), but in the first instance I'm missing two exits off so feel the need to indicate. In the second instance I'm just passing the one exit.

I think you may have opened a can of worms! It would be interesting to get the views of other road users (bus drivers, trucks, cyclists etc).

A BIG can!    Thanks for your comment.   I have asked people who definitely should know (I'm not mentioning any names here) and no one is certain which is the best way.   The very best way, in my "humble" opinion, would be for the Council to erect signs as they have at the Maesbury Roundabout.

I now avoid the roundabout in favour of the Whittington Road one when going towards Oswestry.   The return trip is much easier and I just keep to the left-hand lane but on the right-hand side of it.

Thanks for your response Gardner, and I am sorry that it has taken me so long to come back to let you know that I have used your method for negotiating this wretched roundabout with pretty good success.   Still encounter the occasional idiot who uses my suggested method but fortunately not many!

Thanks again and good motoring.

Rob.