Sign in to follow this  
Big Local

Big Local - March Meeting

The next Delivery Group meeting will be on Wednesday 20th March at 7pm in Gobowen Scout Hut.

The Agenda for the meeting will be posted shortly, together with the minutes of the February meeting.

Everyone with an interest is warmly invited - it would be helpful if you could let us know if you're coming so that we can set the room out with enough seats. Either post your message here, or RSVP to the calendar event

You can also give me a call on 07749 - 786544, or email at d.boyce@qube-oca.org.uk

Edited by Big Local

here is the agenda for Wednesday's meeting:

Delivery Group Meeting Agenda,

Wednesday 20th March 2013 , 7.00pm, Gobowen Scout Hut

1)      Apologies for absence

2)      Declarations of interest

3)      Minutes of the meeting 18th February 2013 and matters arising

4)      Budget

5)      Website – progress report, and protocols for posting updates

6)      Business Forum Development

7)      ‘Quick Wins’ projects – progress update

8)      Partnership development – discussion of ‘Code of Conduct’, ‘Values’ and ‘What the Partnership does’ - summaries distributed. Make commitment to the Partnership if agreeable.

9)      Feedback from ‘priorities questionnaire’ currently being piloted

10)  Development of the ‘Vision’ and ‘Operating priorities’.

11)  Youth Forum – progress report

12)  Date of next delivery group meeting, and venue

For anyone thinking of coming to the meeting on Wednesday evening, 20 th March, it will probably be helpful to have a look at these three short pieces which are the background to Agenda item 8 - 'Partnership Development'.

If you have questions about any of this before the meeting, I'll be happy to try to answer them if you give me a call - 07749 - 786544.

Thanks,

David Boyce - Co-ordinator

WHAT THE PARTNERSHIP DOES:

(This is based on:

http://www.localtrust.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Making-Big-Local-Happen-v2-Dec-20121.pdf)

The partnership uses your area’s Big Local shared vision and creates the detailed Big Local plan of how this is going to be achieved.

It makes sure the Big Local plan is carried out and that Big Local money is used in the best way possible.

It  should keep residents at the centre of decision making and Big Local activities.

It should make links with many different individuals, groups, and organisations in your area.

It should also make a particular effort to develop networks with groups and communities whose ideas and thoughts may not be reflected in the partnership at any point in time

It makes overall decisions about how to spend the money – but it does not actually ‘hold’ or distribute the money.

A  more “precise” description is included in the “Memorandum of Understanding” included as part of the Toolkit

IT  WILL NEED:

• a clear sense of purpose expressed through your area’s shared Big Local vision and Big Local plan

• an effective chair who is respected by your partnership’s membership

• good working relationships and trust between members, even if you disagree on some issues

• inclusion of different types of people, communities or groups that reflect the diversity of individuals in your area

• an acceptance that there will be conflict and disagreements and a commitment to address these in a constructive way

• regular reflection on achievements made and learning lessons for the future

• visibility, good communication, openness and transparency

• a regular membership review to ensure the partnership remains vibrant and attractive to new members, particularly to those that live in the local area

• methods in place to regularly inform the range of people and organisations in your area about what Big Local is doing and also ask for feedback to make sure the area’s views are reflected.

BIG LOCAL VALUES EXAMPLE

These are values which align with Big Local.

Big Local partnerships should discuss and determine if they would like to amend or add values or ways of working for their Big Local area. Your partnership should agree values and attach them to the memorandum of understanding.

1. We are committed to quality and excellence in everything that we do.

2. We will support residents and people locally in improving their own communities. We know that communities which face problems contain the people who will create the solutions.

3. We actively share knowledge and skills, encouraging learning and cooperation. We collaborate with others to build the best possible solutions to the challenges we face together.

4. We are responsible, open and accountable. We will be honest and transparent in all our dealings. We will collect, share and review evidence of our progress and be open to advice and criticism.

5. We believe in social responsibility. We want our work to have a positive impact on people locally, the area and the environment, now and for future generations.

6. We are committed to equality and promote diversity. We seek to overcome all forms of discrimination and prejudice so that everyone can participate in, contribute to and benefit from Big Local on an equal basis, whatever their background, ethnicity or beliefs.

7. We will be innovative and embrace change, approaching problems proactively and creatively.

8. We are enthusiastic, energetic, positive and proud of Big Local, and will bring these qualities to all our activities.

CODE OF CONDUCT EXAMPLE

(Source: Making Big Local Happen “TOOLKIT”)

The purpose of the code of conduct is to ensure that all members of the partnership operate the highest standard of integrity at all times. Each partnership should discuss and agree an appropriate code of conduct for their partnership and attach them to the memorandum of understanding sent to Local Trust.

As a member of the partnership I agree to abide by our area’s Big Local values. Additionally, I agree that:

. Everything the partnership does will be able to stand the test of scrutiny by the public, charity regulators, community members, stakeholders, funders and the courts.

. Integrity, respect and honesty will be the hallmarks of all conduct when dealing with others within the partnership and equally when dealing with individuals and institutions outside it.

. The partnership will strive to maintain an atmosphere of openness throughout the community to promote confidence of the public, stakeholders, Local Trust, the Big Lottery Fund, charity regulators and government.

In particular:

. I will not break the law, go against charity regulations or act in disregard of partnership policies.

. I will abide by our local Big Local procedures.

. I will always strive to act in the best interests of Big Local.

. I will declare any conflict of interest or of loyalty, or any circumstance that might be viewed by others as such, as soon as it arises.

. When I am speaking as a member of the partnership, my comments will reflect the work of the partnership even when these do not agree with my personal views. When speaking as a private individual I will strive to uphold the reputation of the partnership and those who work in it.

. I will not personally gain materially or financially from my role as a member, nor will I permit others to do so as a result of my actions or negligence.

. I will strive to read all documents and attend all meetings, giving apologies ahead of time to the chair if unable to attend.

. I will engage in debate and voting in meetings according to procedure, maintaining a respectful attitude toward the opinions of others while making my voice heard. I will accept a majority committee vote on an issue as decisive and final.

. I will maintain confidentiality (where this has been agreed in the partnership’s guidance on confidentiality) about what goes on in the meeting unless authorised by the chair or committee to speak of it.

. I will participate in induction, training and development activities for members.

. I understand that substantial breach of any part of this code may result in my removal as a member.

. Should I resign as a member I will inform the chair in writing, stating my reasons for resigning. Additionally, I will participate in an exit interview.