Sign in to follow this  
Gardner

Campaign for New Crossing on St. Martins Road

There's a campaign to get a new crossing on St. Martins Road in Gobowen to make it easier and safer to get to the primary school.

A petition is available to sign in West Place Stores, the Co-op and Gobowen Post Office.

I have an update on this one, Mrs G:

A large number of local people signed the petition and it was given to David Lloyd MBE who helpfully took it to Shropshire Council.

Yesterday (19th June 2013) at 9.30am I noticed two cars parked at the entrance to Fernhill Lane just off St. Martins Road. They were doing a head count of parents and children crossing St. Martins Road and going up School Lane to the School. I got talking to one of the people carrying out the survey and was told that surprisingly few people crossed the road at that point on that day. He asked if there was another way for pupils and parents from the West Place estate could cross the road and I could only suggest further up St. Martins Road by Gobowen Library.

It was stated that parents and pupils had been observed crossing the main road from both sides of the Fernhill Lane junction and that if a new crossing was built a fence would also have to be included to channel crossers. I said it was unlikely that a fence would be included in these tough economic times. He agreed, but pointed out that Morda Primary School has a similiar number of pupils to Gobowen School, was able to get a crossing with fence - but one of their Governors is Joyce Barrow (whoever she is).