Sign in to follow this  
leebarnfield

Parish Council Agenda and Minutes

What's is the consensus of opinion over Parish Council Minutes posted here?

When I originally started the forum, Parish Council's either didn't have websites or had items posted in obscure places buried within other websites.  St.Martins don't send me any and TBH rarely engage in the website, Weston Rhyn send me information, although the agenda is always sent after the event and now Gobowen/Selattyn prefer to post on their own website.

Should they continue to be posted on Community Online?

They want our vote, and they want our money via the Council Tax precept, so why should we not be able to see what they are doing.

Weston Rhyn Parish Council do not  have a dedicated website, but what they do have ,directs people to this site!!   and the report that is put in The Wren is not the  full minutes and no agenda of next meeting.

Where is the openness and transparency?

It is the only place o see all the minutes in the one place so is useful.  Can the admin. email all clerks again and ask them to post the minutes?  It would also be very useful to have something from the LJC meetings.  Our last one had the Shrops Council Chief Exec talking about all the cuts and how it was going to fall to our local villages to pick up the pieces and run services we wanted.  So fairly important!  Here is the film that he showed us.  Should stimulate debate.  

Both St. Martins and S&GPC have relatively new clerks that live outside the area.

They are paid by their respective councils to do a job, and part of that is to provide information on the decisions the councils make on behalf on the parishioners. However, there are pre-existing facilities for this; you can approach the council and ask for the agenda and minutes and these documents must be displayed on parish notice boards, if there is a parish website, then up to date documents must be displayed there. In Gobowen the minutes are available in the library.

Parishioners can attend monthly council meetings and talk freely for a period before the meeting. They can also approach the clerk and have an item put on the agenda.

Clerks are not required to make information available above and beyond what they are actually contracted to do. Having said that, community online is very much a one stop shop and I don't see any reason why parish documents cannot be sent to CO at the same time as they are sent to councillors (5 full working days before the meeting itself).

As to the wider challenges faced by Shropshire Council (see the previous uploaded clip), I suspect that many, many people are unaware of the cuts coming down the line, and indeed the responsibilities that small parish council are having to contribute to now that the unitary authority slowly reduces its services.