Sign in to follow this  
MarkB

Gobowen Green Room Youth Project...

I've heard on the grapevine that the Green Room Youth Project has closed down... Has anybody else heard this and is it correct? There has been no press release or post on this website. I even went to look on the village notice board this afternoon but nothing.

I understand it is due to either resignations from the committee or lack of adults to help run the club 3 Wednesday evenings per month.

My children have attended the Green Room since it moved into the Pavilion, in fact my eldest daughter sought funding and was granted approx £400 to help towards a trip to Liverpool which never went ahead. To say they are devastated is an understatement... 

I've heard on the grapevine that the Green Room youth project has been suspended until they get some more volunteers to help out on Wednesday evenings.

I think Fusion Arts do youth sessions in the pavilion on Monday evenings between 5 and 7pm

<I've heard on the grapevine that the Green Room youth project has been suspended until they get some more volunteers to help out on Wednesday evenings>

I think you might find that this is the excuse that will be used for its closure but the reality is far from that.  

Green Room Youth project Needs Your Help

At a recent Annual General Meeting of The Green Room Youth Project it was agreed that despite the weekly sessions being well attended and the need for continuing, there is a reducing number of people able to support the sessions. Chairman Paul Drury said in his address to the group"We have all worked together to make sure the group has been meeting for 4 years and in all that time there has not been anyone in the community coming forward to assist us. We cannot continue with the committee we have and will look at some other ways of supporting young people."

I'm willing to carry on with postion as chairman,I've already had one person who as shown some interest,Carol and Karl are also willing to carry on running the sesions,without whos efforts we would of not lasted 4 years,but they desperatlely need some help 

In the short term young people have the opportunity to attend the Monday games session at the Pavilion whilst the Green Room Youth Project look for other people to support the young people. have you the skills needed to support either the committee or perhaps volunteer for 2 hours on a Wednesday evening .If you would like to hear more about whats involved  telephone  Julie on 07977108071 or email greenroomgobowen@live.co.uk.

The Silo Youth Opportunity Fund has funded the project over the past 4 years and is committed to supporting youth activities in the village Julie can also provide contact information to groups or individuals

Email sent Paul... Im more than willing to help support the committee and /or help out on Wednesday evenings when Carls shift pattern interferes with his volunteering at the Green Room.

There is no doubt that since its inception in 2012 the Green Room has been a superb example of what can be done to support 15-25 young people on a regular basis, despite being on a limited budget and with only Carol and more recently Carl coming forward from the local community to volunteer and help run the project. My 2 children and my 2 step children, who I was guardian for, have all used the facilities since it opened and the two youngest (12 and 15 years) still regularly attend. To say that they are upset at the projects closure is an understatement…

I personally think that the longer a group such as the Green Room stays closed local interest is lost which leads to many never opening their doors again. I feel it is thus imperative to get the show back on the road ASAP.  I also feel a Gobowen based youth group should be funded, which to a large extent it already is with money from the Silo Fund and the Parish Council, organised and supported by Gobowen based youth workers and volunteers rather than being taken over by a national organisation or business like Fusion Arts.

Well the last time the Green Room Youth Project opened its doors to the children was now over two months ago on the first Wednesday in January (6th). Two new volunteers (Including myself) have come forward and have volunteered to take positions on the committee and/or help out on Wednesday evenings. 

A quote from the committee... "We have all worked together to make sure the group has been meeting for 4 years and in all that time there has not been anyone in the community coming forward to assist us"                                                                                                                                                                                                                   This is however not the case because Carol and Carl have both come forward to assist/volunteer since The Green Rooms inception. 

It seems that the closure of the group is more one of problems with administration rather than lack of volunteers from the local community which was obviously going to be the excuse for the closure.

Just how long does it take to get meetings organised and the organisation up and running again? Come on guys... Its the children who are missing out.