Robmit

Gobowen Railway Station Waiting Room on Platform Two

There isn't one! 

There used to be one of course and there should still be one as waiting for Chester bound trains on Platform Two in poor weather is very uncomfortable.   We are very fortunate to have the excellent booking office and waiting room provided on Platform One but this is not a great help when it is necessary to cross the level-crossing well in advance of any approaching train for Chester (which can sometimes be delayed) and this is especially uncomfortable for disabled passengers.

The station is now a very busy one attracting passengers from a wide area and especially from Oswestry as can be seen by the full car park on most days and I think we deserve better.

I know the racers on the A5 will hate me, but I would love the Cambrian rail link between Gobowen and Oswestry restored.

As much as I do think Oswestry should be indeed connected to the rail line, I just can't see it being feasible without ten's of millions of pounds of investment.  You simply can't have a train crossing the A5 near Gobowen and certainly not a steam engine.

What would be much more feasible is a cycle/walkway.  Which could connect Gobowen to Oswestry, you could also reroute cycle way 455 to take this path.

I may have some wonderful news for you, Rob:

My spies have been out and they tell me that a meeting was held to discuss the old station and the possibility of turning it into a "community hub". I've been informed that representatives from Cambrian Railways, SCURA, Chirk Railway Station, Selattyn & Gobowen Parish Council and Shropshire Town & Rural Housing were in attendance.

Apparently they discussed the possibility of relocating Gobowen library there, developing a café and waiting room, perhaps a ticket office...maybe even having a bridge to cross the line from one platform to the other.

Those present think they can obtain the building without payment.

I think that such a return to its original use as a waiting-room plus the other above mentioned proposals are all great ideas, and I certainly feel the return of a footbridge would be an advantage in view of the lengthy delay once the level crossing gates have been closed.

I am delighted to read in today's (Thursday October 6) Oswestry & Border Chronicle, that the Building is getting the attention it deserves and that there are proposals for its purchase and restoration to its former beauty.   I read that an open day is planned for October 19 between 8am and 7pm in the waiting room;  not sure which one but that is not a problem.

Shrewsbury station is at long last getting some attention and it will be great if our attractive Italianate Gobowen one is looked after properly as well.

I don't think it would cost "ten's of millions of pounds" to restore the link between Gobowen and Oswestry railway stations and, as a regular used of Gobowen station, I do think the link should be restored.   As anyone who uses Gobowen station regularly will observe, the car park is nearly always full and the adjacent streets are now becoming overflow car parks.  I suspect that many passengers come from Oswestry and surrounding areas and that the link would alleviate the congestion.   OK!  I know that the A5 would not benefit from the barriers being used once more, but if the link was restored say for morning and evening commuters the route would be unaffected for the majority of the day.    I guess I shall make myself most unpopular with the car users but we are fast approaching the stage where something needs to be done to reduce road traffic.   As for using a steam engine to provide the service that had not crossed my mind!

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your update.   I have no idea of the cost but at £1million per mile that does not sound excessive as the service would be for Oswestry commuters and the distance between Gobowen Station and Oswestry is only about three miles.   I do feel that this important link should be reinstated even though I appreciate the A5 users might not like it!

You would need to include the reinstating of the A5 crossing and the bridge where Whittington Road meets Gobowen Road and numerous other works.  The cost would soon escalate.  As a grand plan to overhaul Oswestry I think it may have merit, but as a standalone steam engine route not.

Lee!  I thought I had made it clear that my reason for wanting the reinstatement of the link between Oswestry and Gobowen was simply to facilitate commuters and certain not just for a steam engine route.