Mabel

Llangollen Canal World Heritage Site

Some of us have had a letter through the door about a new supplementary planning guidance for world heritage site and its buffer zone. The consultation on this draft finishes at the end of December. At the moment it can only be found on the Denbighshire Council Site. Probably worth a look because of implications of planning restrictions for any developments in Chirk Bank, Rhosweil and Pontfaen. I think it looks OK, if a bit long winded, but then I am a bit of a NIMBY.

There have been some welcome improvements to the quality of the tow path in Chirk along the Llangollen Canal, so much so that it is possible to cycle to Llangollen in reasonable comfort. But the quality is really poor as the canal goes into the Midlands under the main road to Ellesmere.

As an off road cyclist I would love to see more investment in canal tow paths to encourage people to enjoy fairly direct routes to local villages and towns (Gobowen, St. Martins, Weston Rhyn, Ellesmere, Whitchurch etc), but I understand that funding is being cut to British Waterways.

Ears to the ground suggests that British Waterways are looking to improve the next bit of towpath from Gledrid in Ellesmere direction, but I don't know much more, like how far or anything, suppose it depends on how much money they can find. I'll ask the right questions and post up what I find out!

It's a lovely stretch of canal, but the path just after the Ellesmere road is terrible. It's pitted with molehills and sinking into the cut. The Montgomeryshire has some lovely stretches but I haven't been any further than Maesbury yet.

I may dig a little deeper into this subject and get something published in a future issue of the parish newsletter. The Llangollen canal connects Weston Rhyn, St. Martins, Chirk and Gobowen, so it's relevant to 4 local villages.

Chirk Bank Memories

The podcasts and video produced by Audioguide Ltd and residents of Chirk Bank for the Aqueducks are now available via the internet. The slide show can be found on You tube

http://youtu.be/Uu1XiYn24bw

and this link takes you to the podcasts,

http://mobile.audio-...e.co.uk/home/cb

These have been used for blue tooth, QR codes and podcast distribution to 3G mobile phones during this summer for visitors to Chirk Bank and have proved very popular. It is very fitting that we are going to use state of the art technology to interpret something (the canal and aqueduct) that was itself state of the art 200 years ago. Local people will probably recognise many of the voices on the podcasts. If you've got ant more stories get in touch with Aqueducks.

http://www.aqueducks.org

Aqueducks only cover the World Heritage Site but it would be fun to extend this sort of thing along the canal through St Martins and Gobowen.

I've just worked out how to do links so these addresses above should now go where I want them to and no copying and pasting needed.

Edited by Maggie

Shropshire Council got planning permission earlier this year to put in a small tourists car park next to Gledrid Canal bridge on the opposite side of Oaklands Road to the 'Poachers Pocket'. They have now found the funding to go ahead with this project. This will provide disabled access onto the tow-path, and have interpretation. Gledrid Bridge is the end of the World Heritage Site as designated on a map, so Gledrid will become 'The Gateway' to the World Heritage Site.

There is a tourism strategy for the world heritage site going the rounds (try Wrexham Borough website, although I couldn't see it on there the other day), which has suggestions for a water bus linking sites along the whole 11 miles of the WHS starting from the Lion Quays at our end.

Personally I would like to see more made of the canal in our area, and extending the advantages of all these extra visitors down into St Martins and Gobowen. Wrexham Council haven't been slow in realising the economic advantages of the WHS and all the new tourists who are just now discovering the area for the first time.

. Wrexham Council haven't been slow in realising the economic advantages of the WHS and all the new tourists who are just now discovering the area for the first time.

Everytime I try to post anything on Wrexhams year of culture facebook page it gets removed, All postings are done to promote the 11 mile corridor but it seems that Wrexham don't want to play nice!!!!!!!! I/ we ( the Aqueducks) get about 5000 hits a month, shame we can't promote Wrexham when they wont let us on. If you want to take a look at some great pics then go to: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pontcysyllte-Aqueduct/168316099898223

E-Bulletin October 2011

Please find below the first e-bulletin news of Pontcysyllte Aqueduct & Canal World Heritage Site, to give a snapshot of descriptions and headlines of delivery that is happening or has happened, rather than strategic pre-planning.

Planning

Public consultation is now underway on the draft supplementary planning guidance for the WHS. The Consultation period will run until Friday 16th December with public consultation events planned for Monday 3rd October at Chirk Parish Hall, Monday 24th October at Trevor Community Centre and Tuesday 15th November in Llangollen Town Hall where planning officers will be available to discuss the proposals. All the Consultation events will run from 3.00pm until 8.00pm.

The document has been prepared jointly between the three Local Planning Authorities and is intended to aid developers, members of the public, Officers and Members of the Council. The guidance note amplifies development plan policies of the three respective Councils and will be a material consideration in the determination of planning applications that affect the World Heritage Site and its setting.

Please see email link below which is from Denbighshire County Council website.

http://denbighddms.wisshost.net/webfiles/SPG/Final%20Draft%20SPG%20for%20conusltation%20Sept%202011.pdf

Aqueducks

Chirk Bank Memories

The podcasts and video produced by Audio guide Ltd and residents of Chirk Bank for the Aqueducks are now available via the internet. The slide show can be found on You tube http://youtu.be/Uu1XiYn24bw and this link takes you to the podcasts, http://mobile.audio-guide.co.uk/home/cb

These will be used for blue tooth, QR codes and podcast distribution to 3G mobile phones, but until this is finished we thought local people might enjoy hearing them ahead of any launch! It is very fitting that we are going to use state of the art technology to interpret something (the canal and aqueduct) that was itself state of the art 200 years ago.

Biodiversity

As regards progress on biodiversity within the WHS:

· Paul Roberts is continuing with the People’s Trust for Endangered Species Internship undertaking a water vole and habitat survey of the canal corridor. He has been liaising closely with Gareth Parry (Shropshire Council) and other members of the Shropshire Mammal Group.
· British Waterways Ecologist has met with the Aqueducks again with regards to the works at Chirk Aqueduct. It has been agreed that the works should progress this autumn. The works are to include the removal of self seeding tree and shrub planting to open up views of the blocked archways from existing vegetation.
· British Waterways has money to undertake safety related tree works throughout the canal network in winter 2011-12 which will include some works within the WHS. Only safety related works will be undertaken, although biodiversity issues will be taken into account through works.

Chirk Bank local biodiversity survey

Chirk Bank residents have been taking part in Shropshire Council’s ‘Your Natural Heritage’ project. The project provides training, equipment and support to help groups to discover their local biodiversity. In August the group helped to looked for signs of Water vole along the canal. They also joined the Aqueducks to take part in a bat survey organised by the World Heritage Site biodiversity group. Common pipistrelle, Soprano Pipistrelle and Daubentons bats were spotted with particularly high levels of activity around historic structures such as the Chirk Aqueduct.

For any more information please contact Gareth Parry - Community Biodiversity Project Officer on 01743 252543 or

Conservation

· BW is currently in negotiations with Denbighshire and Wrexham Councils and Sustrans regarding Taith funding for further towpath improvements. The following stretches are being discussed: Chain Bridge to Llangollen Wharf and Chirk area. Further improvements are also being discussed (just outside the WHS boundary) between the canal towpath at Lion Quays (where the A5 crosses over the canal) and Gledrid in Shropshire.
· Principal engineering inspection is planned for Pontcysyllte Aqueduct in mid November 2011. This will be carried out from a boat using a boom mounted camera. Principal inspection takes place every 10 years to assess the condition of the structure and determine whether any work is needed.
· Vegetation clearance from Pontcysyllte Aqueduct as part of the structure’s routine maintenance is being planned.
· Tunnel safety signage to be installed at Whitehouses and Chirk Tunnels following approval from Cadw.
· Engineering tunnel inspections of Chirk and Whitehouses Tunnels to be undertaken this winter by British Waterways. The tunnels will not be dewatered. Inspections will be carried out via a workboat.
· Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal Management Agreement – Final draft has been prepared by Consultants, DPP, incorporating comments provided by Planning Landscape and Conservation sub group. Document has also been passed to BW’s legal department for comment
· Pontcysyllte Aqueduct and Canal Conservation Management Plan – Amendments are being undertaken to the draft document produced by Purcell Miller Tritton to bring the report up to date following WHS inscription.

Ty Mawr Country Park

Its all happening at Ty Mawr Country Park!

Over the next few months exciting things will be happening at Ty Mawr Country Park in Cefn Mawr. The facilities at Ty Mawr are being improved thanks to funding from landfill tax credits.

The barn area is going to be refurbished for use as an all weather, all year round school room, events room and volunteer base. The building will be extended to house the tractor and improve the animal care facilities, and provide a separate hay store.

This work has been made possible by funding partly from WREN, a not for profit business that awards grants to community projects from funds donated by Waste Recycling Group to the Landfill Communities Fund. Further funding has been granted by CORY Environmental Trust in Britain, who support projects bringing environmental benefits and have a positive impact on the local community, again through the Landfill Communities Fund.

Money for the project has also been donated by the Friends of Ty Mawr. The Friends group raise money by selling tea and cakes at the park on a Sunday afternoon. If you would like to support the Friends of the Park what nicer way then eating cake! Or if you want help out further, the Friends group are always looking for willing helpers and cake makers.

The play area at Ty Mawr has also been renewed with new equipment which makes provision for less able children including a wheel chair accessible roundabout. The new play area was designed with ideas from the Junior Rangers and other local children. Funding for the new play area was also provided by WREN.

It is hoped that the work will be completed in time for the Junior Rangers to have their Christmas Party in the new rooms.

Had an email wanting news for November's World Heritage Site e-bulletin, so can peeps let me know if they know of anything interesting within the WHS in Chirk Bank so I can relay it, we don't want it to be dominated by news from Wrexham!

Sculpture Trail.

A project has been working towards a new sculpture trail along the canals between Gledrid, Ellesmere and Llanymynech for some time. Renowned artist and sculptor Jason Hickling has been working on a series of works that reflect the history and beauty of these canals. There will be a cracking one in the new car park at 'The Gateway to the World Heritage Site' in Gledrid. Hopefully the works will be installed during this Spring. As a teensy taster here is a photo of a recent site visit, with model of sculture.

(you can see a bigger version in the Gallery section of this site)

There is an exhibition about the project at the Qube in Oswestry between 2nd March and 2nd April; and Jason will talk about his work on Friday 2nd March at 7 p.m. http://qube-oca.org....ing-exhibitions

www.jasonhicklin..com

I've put a new thread in Coffee lounge about this project now that things are happening! (13.3.12)

Edited by Maggie

I've put a before, during and after sequence onto the gallery on this site for the towpath improvements in Chirk Bank last winter. It is easy to forget how dangerous the towpath was before the work. I saw a man fall off his bike and almost go into the canal where the bank was badly eroded, and now it is safe and accessible to walkers, cyclists and wheelchairs. Thanks British waterways.

hello everybody

I have been wondering what has happened about the planning thing for the World Heritage Site. I have heard nothing more from anybody. Does anyone know what is going on?

What will the sculpture be like? I really don't want to see a monstrous thing spoiling the countryside. Hope it won't be a dead shark.

The WHS Buffer Zone consultation has made the headlines with Wrexham Borough Council accepting the recommendations. Shropshire Council have yet to sign up to the document. The original consultation document, as agreed now by WBC, is on the Shropshire Council website here

http://www.shropshire.gov.uk/planningpolicy.nsf/open/AFE66FA8B2885E8080257935004991D8

but this suggests that SC are only going to use it to 'inform' a separate Historical Environment Planning document. I wonder where this will end? The example of the new planning agreement for the caravan site at Gledrid, well within the Buffer Zone, is a case in point, where the WHS buffer zone was irrelevent to the decision.

Here is the link to the BBC article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-east-wales-18392771