Sign in to follow this  
Maggie

'Stitch and Bitch' or Knit and Natter?

Does anyone fancy getting together and starting a social group for knitters and sewers etc in Weston Rhyn? Say every week for a cup of tea and cake and a good natter, plus handicrafts? Informal, and enough people so that you wouldn't have to go every week, just when you felt like it. There is a very popular group in Oswestry now, and it is extremely popular and trendy in the States, and I think it might be fun.

They are called Stitch and Bitch in States but we don't have to use this name if anyone might be upset by it. But the idea is to be a bit more interesting in what we do than an old fashioned 'Sewing Circle'. Here is a link to show how knitted toys can be political!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15874250

I was thinking upstairs on the comfy chairs in the Institute?

Its a good idea. Me and a few other mums at school have recently chatted about relaxed get togethers and handicrafts but not sure we are very organised and alot of us also have preschool age children which complicates things. Hope u get more interest.

What sort of time suits you young Mums? Is there any reason why preschoolers cannot come too? (I have in the back of my mind sort of worthy stuff as well about the skills that older women have linking up with a younger group as well, but it was mainly about doing something enjoyable!)

I'll email Julie Ruler now! We have no group, or bank account, but what the heck, nowt to lose! I have already spoken to non-internet user about this, and she is keen and thinks some of the older residents of the village would like to get involved too, so think this might just be a winner!

And, not being able to knit is good too, its about sharing skills. (and if you look at some of the youtube stuff from USA it looks like the easy stuff that homes for the hamfisted would teach, and they produce horrible strange things on simple peg looms, but we can easily do better. Grant for materials to start would be good, although my dead mum has left behind a big box of wools, which is what gave me the idea in the first place!

So I've emailed, and expect reply on Monday. Suggested that we would like c£200, but had no formal organisation yet, so would await her response before I bothered to fill in any forms. Please please, if you are interested get in touch as I need people and help!

Edited by Maggie

A Lady called Anne wanted to set up a knitting circle plus various othercraft skills in the village, there was an open day in early December at the community building to gage whether it would come to fruition or not, unfortunately I was the only person who showed up to support the idea on the particular day. I think this would be a good idea, as thanks to Kirstie Allsopp alot of people are taking up the needles and hooks and becoming handy again at old crafts and skills.

Hi Kerry

I didn't see this (but I wasn't very well at beginning December so not really with it). Have you any idea who Anne was?

Are you interested? I am going to go ahead and ask for a grant for this to start up, and look to start sometime in the Spring. Have had a bad response to the name 'Stitch and Bitch' so need a better name that won't put people off but will still be a bit more edgy and attractive than 'Handicrafts Group' Any ideas?

Well this does sound like a nice idea. Have you thought of putting something into the Wren about it? I have been watching Kirsty Alsop on the television making things like I used to do a long time ago now. I can remember carefully unpicking jumpers then reknitting them as something else, sometimes even my father's smelly socks. I think we will need to rediscover all those skills as times get harder again.

Brief Update:

I have applied to LJC for some funding to get this off the ground, so I now need anyone who is interested to get in touch. I am thinking to physically start meetings after Easter, which gives time to put something in the Wren and to get a group of people together, and to get some ideas about what people want to do. I am wonderring what sort of time and days suit the most people?

OK fellow knitters, The final decision about whether we get any money for this group will be made at the LJC meeting on Tuesday 14th :wub: , 7 pm All Saints Church Hall, Gobowen. I shall attend and take some knitting to do during the meeting! Its now time for everyone who is interested to get in touch with me so that we can set this thing up. (Did anyone see BBC Breakfast News this morning about how knitting is increasing in popularity again. I really liked the idea of guerilla knitting, but not really new..once upon a time when I was a student, on a cold frosty night I climbed up onto a large naked statue and put a very large cardigan on it. ) :)

I'm definately interested, I believe you also spoke to Anne about this venture. Hope it gets off the ground just what this village needs a knitting circle, though I would leave the 'bitch' part out of the advertising its only attracts that kind of energy. Knit and Natter sounds alot better :)

WE have been awarded £200 from LJC, for room hire and some materials. Should be enough to get us going. When I have the museum out of the way next month will organise a get together to discuss what we all want to do and when and where.

Angela and I thought to start up in a couple of months time, mainly because the Institute is mostly booked up at present. I thought we could call a meeting some time after Easter, for everyone who is interested to get together and decide what we want to do and when, and what we should do with the grant...i.e. most of it presumably to pay for room hire, but will need to buy stuff too. What does everyone think?

Angela is sorting out room hire etc for knit and natter so that we can start doing things in September. Sorry for the delays. We need an inaugeral date when we can get together and decide how to spend the grant, then start....so watch this space for updates. Ann is also working on some plans with Unltd funding for something separate but which would work alongside Knit and Natter probably. I will post here as things develop.