Sign in to follow this  
MarkB

The Youth feel let down "Again"...

Today, as part of National Play Day 2014 (This is actually tomorrow the 6th August) there are activities at the playing fields for the children of the village. 

This of course is excellent and thanks must go to all who help out with such an event. The council even gave £50 to support the day which im sure is much appreciated...

Then the problems arise...

Despite booking the Pavillion well in advance the poor old kids once again get booted out because the Pavilion has items in it that belong to the Graham Edwards Memorial Trophy. Unbelievable....

Why couldnt the stuff simply be moved out for the afternoon??? 

Because of lack of facilities there was no advertising of the event. It was thought that they may have to cancel BUT at the last minute the organisers have gamely forged ahead with just a table on the field for drinks etc...

It seems to me that the poor kids, and the organisers, continually get pushed from pillar to post with regards to use of the Pavilion and its facilities.

As chairman of the Greenroom and also chairperson of the playing field committee,I'm baffled how no one as contacted me,and the first I hear that there is a problem,  is on this forum,if i had been informed early I know the organisers of the Graham Edwards Memorial, would have cleared the room for this event,

The Graham Edward Memorial Season is now into its final week. They have lots of equipment in the pavilion. They also had a match on the evening of the same day (kick off at 6.30pm).

Although I was aware that the National Play Day happens around now I know the council didn't receive a booking form prior to the event. The first I knew of it was seeing a banner on the fence on Monday morning (although I had received an email on the Sunday asking if the building was available).

In addition, following recent matches and the GE guys doing sterling work clearing up litter after all matches, all the litter bins are full. Although there was a collection on Monday morning, the collector (Ringway) refused to empty the pavilion bins. As it's a brown bin collection week, the pavilion bin will remain full until next weeks' collection.

I hope that sheds clearer light on the situation.

In addition, following recent matches and the GE guys doing sterling work clearing up litter after all matches, all the litter bins are full. Although there was a collection on Monday morning, the collector (Ringway) refused to empty the pavilion bins. As it's a brown bin collection week, the pavilion bin will remain full until next weeks' collection.

I hope that sheds clearer light on the situation.

It does indeed Simon...

So obviously the GE matches will now have to be cancelled on the same grounds, I dont think so...

Simon, my sister would have wheeled her green bin around for the afternoon for the kids to use and as Paul said Im sure the Pavillion could have been sorted for a few hours. The reasons cited was "unsuitable storage of bottles of alcohol for raffles at the GE".

All the kids get is a blunt "No" Cant use it... Rather than co-operate and move the alcohol etc

Its not just the kids who lose out, I presume the council also loses out financially at missing an afternoons booking...

The council didn't receive an official pavilion booking prior to the event.

The council received a request for use of the pavilion on Sunday 3rd August at 17.50 via email to the Parish Clerk (who is away on holiday) and copied to the Assistant to the Parish Clerk.

I wasn't aware that the event was on until I saw the banner on the fence outside the playing field. I had seen no other publicity.

A football match had taken place on the Sunday and the bins hadn't been emptied. The council allows use of the pavilion for the Play Day for free, so it didn't lose out financially.

Just to clairfy things prior to my leave starting the organisers of the Play Day last year were contacted a number of times to see whether they intended to run the event again in 2014 and no response was received.

The  pavilion hire agreement with the Green Room has always been  that they meet 3 times a month so the Parish Council can continue to hold its regular council meeting on the second Wednesday of the month and there have never been any complaints about this arrangement. To my knowledge there has only been 2 occasions this year when the youth club has been asked to move its meeting

1. In February when the storm caused the cancellation of the Parish Council meeting and the meeting had to be held the following week.

2. In May when the pavilion was to be used as a polling station for the European Elections as the room had to be set up the night before.

If there are other occasions I would be grateful if you could let me know.

The Parish Council always try to accomodate the youth club, we have put in storage in the pavilion for the group to use and regularly support the group with grants. We have not had any complaints from the organisers about the use of the pavilion and have a good working relationship with the committee members.