Parish Clerk

Public Consultation - proposed Solar Farm Rhosygadfa

Saw this objection by Sue Cowley (Whittington Parish Clerk) in the 'Public Comments' section of the Application :

Comment submitted date: Tue 11 Nov 2014

Members of Whittington Parish Council feel that this application should be deferred as there is not enough information to make a reasonable judgment on the impact to the quality and character of the countryside. There should have been public consultation meetings held in the parishes that are affected by this application. The meeting for Selattyn and Gobowen, the parish mainly affected by this application, is due on    November, this should have been held before in this parish not St Martins. As Whittington is also affected this application should be deferred until a public meeting in the parish is arranged.

Unfortunately, Sue has quoted the wrong date for the meeting which is why it is not shown above (to avoid any more confusion!)

The Meeting is, of course, on the Thursday 20th November in the Pavilion at 7.00 pm

Lets hope that the very least our Parish Councillors will do, is the same as Whittington.

Here is an interesting article from the Guardian:

Magazine column by heir calls for people to value ‘landscapes, farmers, villages and pubs’ or risk losing them

Press Association

Wednesday 12 November 2014

theguardian.com

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/nov/12/prince-charles-says-peoples-connection-with-countryside-is-dying

----

On the Planning Application - Consultants Comments

1)  Shropshire Council shows concerns about :     Drainage,    Archeology (historic Environment),     and Public Right of Way (PROW) not identified correctly

2) Ramblers Association and Shropshire Wildlife Trust do not seem to have been consulted.

Why wait to be consulted!   If you are concerned, contact the SCC Planners ref Application 14/03946/FUL and make your point!

There's only a few days left!

This is the reply from Nick (Berry's) to Kelvin Hall(SC Planning to Whittington Parish Council

request for extending the consultation period

Hi Kelvin,

Thank you for the update. Elgin have already run two consultation events. The first meeting was

held at St Martins Centre on the 16th July, a location proximate to the site, and on the back of

comments received on that day a second consultation event was held in Gobowen on 23rd

September. The opportunity was offered to Whittington Parish Council to attend both events and

this considered the applicant is not intending to run any further public consultation. Full detail on

both events is contained within the Statement of Community Involvement submitted as part of

the planning application.

I note the consultation expiry date is 03rd December, and we will be providing a response to any

queries raised in the near future. The applicant has requested that everything possible is done

for the application to be heard at committee on 16th December 2014.

Please do call should you have any queries or need anything further from me at this stage.

I am sure that if a poll was done, very few residents 'supposedly visited' would confirm that they were notified.

He neglects to point out that the site is NOT in St. Martin's Parish and Gobowen Parish had to insist that a meeting be held in Gobowen which was well attended.

I also object to the applicant pressurising the Planners to get his application heard by 16th December!!!

Edited by Bethan

Thank you Bethan for the information.   I hope the meeting in Gobowen will be well attended on Thursday evening as the "applicant" doesn't seem to have much consideration for any of the local residents or the Shropshire countryside.

Well obviously the applicant is rushing this through because the silly unsustainable government grants which make solar farms such an attractive windfall for landowners will stop early next year and time is running out on them. 

I think I saw a plot of land (about 10.6 acres) with planning permission going for sale in Gobowen for £3,250,000 (Right Move)!

If I'm not mistaken, the owner is the same as the applicant for the Solar Farm.

So why the rush for a few £000,000's subsidy for industrialising beautiful contryside - a slight odour of greed maybe  !!??

This is the reply from Nick (Berry's) to Kelvin Hall(SC Planning to Whittington Parish Council

request for extending the consultation period

Hi Kelvin,

Thank you for the update. Elgin have already run two consultation events. The first meeting was

held at St Martins Centre on the 16th July, a location proximate to the site, and on the back of

comments received on that day a second consultation event was held in Gobowen on 23rd

September. The opportunity was offered to Whittington Parish Council to attend both events and

this considered the applicant is not intending to run any further public consultation. Full detail on

both events is contained within the Statement of Community Involvement submitted as part of

the planning application.

I note the consultation expiry date is 03rd December, and we will be providing a response to any

queries raised in the near future. The applicant has requested that everything possible is done

for the application to be heard at committee on 16th December 2014.

Please do call should you have any queries or need anything further from me at this stage.

I am sure that if a poll was done, very few residents 'supposedly visited' would confirm that they were notified.

He neglects to point out that the site is NOT in St. Martin's Parish and Gobowen Parish had to insist that a meeting be held in Gobowen which was well attended.

I also object to the applicant pressurising the Planners to get his application heard by 16th December!!!

I also object to the applicant pressurising the Planners to get his application heard by 16th December!!! Rosie

Does anyone know if we have an opportunity to voice our opinions tomorrow or are we just listening?

It's an open meeting and the only subject is the Planning Application 14/03946/FUL

So I think you can voice your opinion (so long as there's not too many 4-letter words!!!!)

Edited by Bethan

Well,    ...   I understand the meeting went as well as can be expected last Thursday.

Not a single member of the large audience was in favour -

and only one councillor was in favour (Well, he does have a vested interest in Solar Panels anyway, doesn't he?!).

Maybe he didn't realise that the vote was on the ApplicationNOT on the benefits of Solar Energy!!!

Many valid reasons were put forward to reject the Application.

Let's hope the Shropshire Planners will take ALL our views into account.

I believe a vote of thanks was extended to our Councillors for arranging the meeting which gave a good opportunity for the Community to express their views.

I second that!

Good Morning Bethan and everyone,

I should like to endorse your comments above.   Having returned to my beloved Shropshire only four years ago after a long absence and been somewhat horrified at the partial desecration of Shrewsbury,  it was refreshing to see such a good community spirit and fondness for our beautiful countryside and much needed agricultural land.

Has anyone heard  of any progress or decisions by the SCC Planning on the solar installation?

I understand that there have been men in 'dayglow' jackets with clip boards walking the area before Christmas, but everything has gone really quiet!

There is nothing new either on the SCC Planning Application.

Could it be that further reports are awaited?

Is it possible that the application has been refused in its present form and recommendations made  so that it can be resubmitted?

If so, does it mean we have to go through the same process of consultation and Council Meetings?

Good Morning Bethan,

I have not heard anything from the SCC either so I can only assume that the planning department has not yet made any decision.    I would surely imagine and hope that any diversion from the original application would be advised to us.

I live very close to the site and often walk past it but have not seen any activity there recently.

I was under the impression that this application was likely to be discussed by the SCC planning committee meeting scheduled for 16th December. It was 'put off', and was expected to be on the January agenda. It was not on that agenda either. 

As Maggie says, the agenda for next meeting, sheduled for 17th Feb (week tomorrow), has not been declared yet!

Hopefully this means that the committee have grave doubts about this application going ahead, but it would be in the interest of everybody for someone to give a progress report, if only to give a date, as the application has failed to be discussed at the two meetings since it was first scheduled.

Does the SCC planning have extended leave of absence over Christmas or are they all out 'gritting the roads'?  Ha Ha!

Surely, if they are overwhelmed with applications, why don't they schedule an extraordinary meeting to discuss the more 'straight forward' ones?

Don't be shy if you want to speak, Maggie!

I presume and hope that all parties against this application have lodged their objections with the SCC.   I did and received an acknowledgment and a confirmation that I would be notified of future events.   Since then I have not received any further information from the SCC.   I understand from another application for building elsewhere that the SCC is very much behind with its planning application considerations due to cut-backs.

When the application does come up for final consideration, bearing in mind that (I hope) many of us have made our objections in writing, are we entitled to attend such a meeting?

Rob

Hello all,

I think the new application has gone in! I have had real trouble trying to actually find it on the Shropshire council website. I have seen a pdf copy and amount of panels has reduced but the site is still substantial. Perhaps we all need to start applying more pressure on the new application.

The revised plan can be viewed on the original planning application Ref 14/03946/FUL.

Lots of new documents - will take some reading and absorbing.  I hope it's still only a proposal, and can still be challenged?

In brief - ths site has now been reduced to 40,000 panels on 52 acres - STILL HUGE. Lots of 'blurb'.

New Campaign needed!!??