Parish Clerk

Public Consultation - proposed Solar Farm Rhosygadfa

Selattyn and Gobowen Parish Council will be holding a special meeting to consider the solar farm application at Rhosygadfa number 14/03946/FUL on Thursday 20th November at 7pm in the Pavilion, Gobowen Playing Field, St Martins Road. I can confirm that the time set aside for public participation will be extended from the usual 15 minutes.

I think it is planned for the usual Parish Council Meeting on the Wednesday 12 November at The Pavilion. Will this subject be on the agenda for that meeting also?

The planning application will only be an information item on the agenda on the 12.11.14 purely to remind councillors of the special meeting and will not be considered in detail by the council then or any comments submitted.

The special meeting called for Thursday 20th November at 7pm will be when the Parish Council will debate and agree any  comments about the application. This meeting will be advertised in the usual places.

Just looked at the Planning Application 14/03946/FUL - quite a few more comments and documents (Objectios) have been submitted. Worth a visit to the website to see what residents/visitors think.

I wonder if the planners will respond to the objectors before they decide???

Hi Bethan,

I've just had another look as well and I am disappointed in the lack of interest from English Heritage.   Some of our historic landmarks (Lord Hill's Column in Shrewsbury for example) could do with a lot more support from them.   Also how the council could possibly have managed to agree to the absolute desecration of Butcher Row in Shrewsbury, where the Council has allowed a concrete bunker of a toilet block right in front of Prince Rupert Hotel, is beyond my comprehension.   Let us hope the Council will not allow our beautiful Shropshire countryside to be desecrated as above.  Solar panels are a great idea in the RIGHT places but not on useful prime agricultural land;  brown field and disused industrial sites are the obvious.

I digress so I will shut up FOR NOW!

Bethan,

I sent my objection but it's not on that site yet, so one more to come!

I'm not sure of the exact 'deadline' , but it's about the 20th/21st November. The SITE NOTICE (dated 28th October)  says 21 days from this date, but the Parish Council are holding a Public Meeting on Thursday 20th November at The Pavillion in Gobowen to discuss.

I've checked the Parish Council Agenda for their mext meeting on Wednesday 12th November and regretfully the application 14/03946/FUL (Solar Farm) is not mentioned although it can be viewed in the Shropshire Planning website.

I understand that this application has been set aside for a special meeting to be held on 20th November at the Pavillion in Gobowen to give the maximum opportunity for extended puplic participation, BUT, surely, it should be on the Council's Agenda on the 12th even if only to remind people of the special meeting on the following Thursday (20th).

There's not a lot of time left, so we should all encourage the objectors to put it in writing, attend the meeting, and not just talk about it!!

I'm not sure of the exact 'deadline' , but it's about the 20th/21st November. The SITE NOTICE (dated 28th October)  says 21 days from this date, but the Parish Council are holding a Public Meeting on Thursday 20th November at The Pavillion in Gobowen to discuss.

I've just noticed that a copy of the Site Notice has been posted in the photo Gallery above. If you 'click' on the option 'Large' you can read it!

How clever this website is!!!!

Has anyone read the JBA Consultants document  -  it's 58 pages long!! Quite a lot of duplication, but.......

On page 39, para. Mitigation  -  in summary it suggests:

Potential to reduce visual prominence  - 

Plant new hedgerows

Infill gaps

Allow existing hedges to grow to 3M in height

If anyone thought that 2M fences were an eyesore, imagine what 3M hedges all over the place would look like!!

After all, neighbours, by law, are only allowed hedges to grow to 2M high

Oh yes Bethan, I can see what you mean. It's the Landscape and Visual assessment document you are on about. I think you need to be logged in to view the document though.

Interesting to see the Visual assessment on the viewpoints. A least they are admitting that it will need an ILLEGAL 3 meter high hedge grown to cover up the eyesore.

I wonder if Elgin Energy offered the consultants Money like the Parish council?

I've checked the Parish Council Agenda for their mext meeting on Wednesday 12th November and regretfully the application 14/03946/FUL (Solar Farm) is not mentioned although it can be viewed in the Shropshire Planning website.

I understand that this application has been set aside for a special meeting to be held on 20th November at the Pavillion in Gobowen to give the maximum opportunity for extended puplic participation, BUT, surely, it should be on the Council's Agenda on the 12th even if only to remind people of the special meeting on the following Thursday (20th).

There's not a lot of time left, so we should all encourage the objectors to put it in writing, attend the meeting, and not just talk about it!!

Hi Bethan,

Has a time been arranged for the special meeting to be held on 20th November at the Pavillion in Gobowen please?

According to the entry dated 28th October by the Parish Clerk, the time was set at 7.00 pm. I'm not aware of any changes.

She also indicated in the same entry that it would be on the agenda for 12/11/2014 meeting for information purposes, but she may have forgotten.

For those who haven't accessed the Sellatyn and Gobowen Parish Council web site, here's the address:

www.2shrop.net/Selattyn%20and%20Gobowen%20Parish%20Council

The agenda for the Meeting to discuss the Solar Panel application can now be viewed.

Everyone interested should attend, if only to listen other people's point of view - in particular the Councillors views - after all they are elected to represent all residents.

After speaking to Lauren Richards she has confirmed that a decision has NOT been made however I am very suspicious now as someone from Shropshire council told me 1/2 an hour ago that a decision had been made and We could see the determined decision on line? Calvin the Planning Officer has also confirmed that a decision has not been made.

Sorry if that was confusing.

What is happening here?   We are told the decision date was in January and we are expecting a local meeting at the Sports pavilion on the 20th and now we hear the decision has already been made.

Although the solar farm is planned for 25 years I am deeply concerned about the future of the proposed agricultural land after this period; we fear that this will be the first of many applications ( easy money incentive ). Of note planning applications have grown from 33 in 2010 to 278 in 2013 a proven increase. The construction of a industrial solar farm would reduce the draw of this beautiful area, not only will we endure 25 years of an unsightly solar farm, in my opinion wasting good agricultural land but the future of the solar farm land after the proposed 25 years would be uncertain; of note a recent solar farm erected in the Telford area has just been granted permission to use the solar farm land for the building of housing once the solar farm term is up, could this happen at the proposed Ebnal solar farm land in the long term.

I agree that we need solar farms and that there is a bright future for them in the UK but not just in any place at any price, more forethought and care should be taken to site such farms and not just granted to random opportunism, we should stick to industrial, brownfield sites or roof tops, which are out of direct view to residents and tourists; and have limited impact on wildlife. we should look for alternatives, the disadvantages significantly outweigh the benefits of this scheme.

Please do not set a depressing and irreversible precedent.

You are quite right Rosie, that contradictionary information from the Council is confusing and there is no need for you to apologise.   I personally feel very grateful to you for keeping an eye on this unfortunate application.