Parish Clerk

Public Consultation - proposed Solar Farm Rhosygadfa

In photo gallery I have posted  a Google map showing very approximately the field that the solar panels will be installed.

Not near the canal and main cable to connect to the grid will exit the site near Ebnal Lodge underground.

Hope this give a little more information.

Thanks Bethan.  very interesting how very extensive this will be.  I should think that the fence, if not the solar panels behind, would be visible from the canal, but I wonder whether they will dominate the skyline?  That would have an adverse effect on the number of visitors to the area entering along the canal, Encouraging these visitors to stay longer and come into the villages makes very good economic sense and could achieve rewards for small amounts of outlay (new guided walks, signage and tourism development generally).  Someone needs to do the sums, but over 25 years the money offered by the solar farm might be small cheese compared to what could be achieved by, say, one tea room down by the canal.  

I live close to the site although it is not directly in my vision.   It is, however, a huge area and I feel it will be a blot on the landscape and possibly a precedent for other farm lands to be utilised if planning permission is allowed.   The money offered should not be a consideration here as once our beautiful countryside is damaged it will remain so for a very long time.

I don't wish to stand in the way of progress and I am all in favour of green energy but not at the cost of ruining our landscape.    For those with doubts I suggest making a short trip to the site to satisfy your own minds;  it is not far away after all!

I am all for using solar power as this is the way forward for our planet.   http://inhabitat.com/report-solar-could-be-dominant-power-source-by-2050/

However, I do not believe such an unplanned and poorly thought out system as here, being forced by grant schemes,and using good agricultural land far from urban and industrial centres has much 'sustainability' (read 'common sense') because of the infrastructure, power lines and substations that would be necessary for distribution.  Now, if the government were to insist on solar tiles or panels on all new build, and grant support solar 'farms' on city rooftops as part of new developments I would be cheering them on.  Germany can do it.  http://inhabitat.com/german-village-produces-321-more-energy-than-it-needs/  

It makes no sense to use good fields for this when there are so many alternatives, especially as we are going to run out of agricultural land to development rather sooner than we want and should be putting a priority on the protection of green field sites.  http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-28003435  What we need from central government is joined up thinking. Planning,Housing,  Defra, Energy etc. all need to get their collective act together, instead of gains for one department being paid for by another.

As Selattyn and Gobowen Parish Council have not received confirmation that the plans have been validated by Shropshire Council the application will not appear on the October meeting agenda for consideration. I understand that as this is a major application the consultation period will be 12 weeks so the plans should be considered at the November meeting to be held on Wednesday 12th November. This will also enable all councillors to visit the site and study the plans prior to making comments.

Selattyn and Gobowen Parish Council agreed last night that once the application has been validated they would hold a special meeting to just consider the application. This meeting would have an extended public participation session to allow more time for residents to present views on the application. As soon as a date for this meeting is set I will post it on this site and on our website.

I think that the solar farm is a great idea. People are going to have to come to terms that these renewable energy sources have to be put somewhere. I walk around the lanes with my son and see no problem with it.  Fossil fuels are not going to last forever so we are going to need an alternative.

So glad the Parish Council are going to hold the Special Meeting regarding the Solar Farm project at Ebnal Lodge Farm. It will have a HUGE impact on the area if it all gets the go-ahead and deserves to be given adequate time for consultation.

I don't think anyone will disagree with Liam, Solar Energy IS the way forward, but lets get real and exhaust all the rooftop sites and other 'brown field' sites before committing prime agricultural land to 25 years of limited use. Afterall, we cannot eat electricity and these other methods provide REAL benefits to local industry and residents.

GRASS DOES NOT GROW IN PERPETUAL SHADE!

I read Mr. Brian Case's comments in the Oswestry & Border Chronicle of this week and completely agree with them.   I am, like so many others, completely in favour of green energy but as commented by other subscribers, rooftop and brown field sites, not green pasture and beautiful scenic land, should be utilised.

I fail to see how the land could still be used for the grazing of sheep when the area would be covered with solar panels one or two metres above the actual ground, although this is not my main concern which is the destruction of the visual amenity as well as grazing.   GRASS DOES NOT GROW IN PERPETUAL SHADE,

I wonder if anyone went to see Owen Paterson last Friday at his Surgery in The Oswestrian?

Would be interesting to here his point of view on use of good agricultural land for Solar Energy v Food Production

or would it be the normal politician's reply - non-commital and a little vague!

I understand there are 18 applications, in our area alone, with Shropshire County Planners (Ebnal Lodge is not one of them yet) to do with Solar Farm Installations of which 4 have been Granted Permission,  6 are Pending Consideration, 2 are Pending Decision, and the status of the other 6 is Not Available.

Is this just the start??

Once there is momentum there will be no stopping the desecration of our wonderful countryside.   Agricultural land should not be utilised for such change of use and only brown field sites should be considered.    Greed will often win and in the instance we should all fight very hard to make certain that it is contained.

I'd just like to point out that cattle are the biggest producers of greenhouse gases, so land not used for intensive farming may have a positive effect on the environment.

This is a very complex issue and there is no doubt that profit is the driving force behind the scheme (both for the landowner and the developer).

I would just like to point out that land used for AGRICULTURAL purposes (not dairy or meat producing) is NOT a polluter of greenhouse gasses.

I'm also a veggie guy as well as being a lover of unspoiled countryside.  Another "can of worms!  Ha ha!

I am working in a project using PV material. As the PV is using a specific wavelength of light it is possible to allow the rest of the wavelength through and it allows things to grow underneath.

Not saying it's being used here but it's possible.

The application has now been validated  and can be viewed on the Shropshire Council planning website application number 14/03946/FUL , as soon as a date for the special meeting has been set it will be advertised on noticeboards,  the Parish Council website and on this forum

Application now in for consideration.

EVERYONE TAKE A GOOD LOOK AT ALL THE DOCUMENTATION.

The Official Site Notice is date 28th October 2014 and states :

All REPRESENTATIONS or COMMENTS are to be submitted within 21 days from the date of this Site Notice. Any in writing are to be sent to the address below stating the Planning Reference Number : Development Management, Oswestry Area Office, Castle View, Oswestry, Shropshire, SY11 1JR

There's not much time to voice your opinion.

I was under the impression that there was going to be a 12 weeks consultation period for this large project?

Edited by Bethan

I found the link did not work and used the following: -

http://new.shropshire.gov.uk/planning/applications/viewing-planning-applications/    

It looks as though this application is being rushed through before it has been given sufficient publication for us to consider it.

I thoroughly echo Mrs Anne Kynaston's objections and am hoping for more news from the rest of "Community on Line" concerning the possibility of a mass protest on the 28th October.

They are also rushing it through to get planning sorted before Defra take away the solar farm subsidies from green field sites on farms.  This is due to happen in April 2015, so if they hurry they can get their grant before then!  Defra are removing the subsidy because of widescale use of good farming land at a time when there are warnings that we are running short of land to grow food.  http://www.planningresource.co.uk/article/1317885/farming-subsidies-cut-stop-spread-solar-panels-says-defra