Mabel

Chirk Bank Community Group

Has anyone got any ideas about what we can do to improve Chirk Bank for the residents? Chirk Bank Community Group have been raising money, and would now quite like to spend some of it on ourselves. One idea would be to plant some bulbs around the village. But what do you think?

What about having a go at clearing thecanal embankment slope on the Gledrid side of Avondale? Its a scrubby mess, and sycamores are growing up to hide the view. There is a seat there, but doubt you could see very much at present. Could this then be sowed with wildflower seeds? The brambles are choking out the rosebay willow herb which are very pretty where they flower. It would also be nice to put a planter or 2 alongside the canal in Chirk Bank.

What about having a go at clearing thecanal embankment slope on the Gledrid side of Avondale? Its a scrubby mess, and sycamores are growing up to hide the view. There is a seat there, but doubt you could see very much at present. Could this then be sowed with wildflower seeds? The brambles are choking out the rosebay willow herb which are very pretty where they flower. It would also be nice to put a planter or 2 alongside the canal in Chirk Bank.

Sounds good Maggie, but think most of the clean up could be done by locals! Do like the idea of planters and wildflower seads.

could we not get it match funded to get even more done?

Chirk Bank Community Group Meeting on Tuesday 6th

The new allotments were discussed, and a Party in the Park (Chirk Bank) for Jubilee agreed, although date not finalised for that. Main concern this month is the amount of dog poo in the Berwyn Avenue estate. The planning applications that have gone in in Gledrid are also a matter of concern (Poachers Pocket enlargement and the caravan site), both still being considered by planning deparrtment.

I've set up a Facebook account for Chirk Bank, can you click on the like button so that we can try to get more than 30 likes!

Search on facebook for Chirk Bank, or http://www.facebook.com/pages/Chirk-Bank/196351593802788 clicky.

(Mr Administrator: how do I get community online on as one of the likes?, I thought there was a facebook site to go with Community-Online?)

What about creating some sort of wildlife area with wildlife friendly plants as Maggie said above, possibly some bird/bat boxes, feeders etc and a hide/ bench to sit and watch?

It would be nice to have some sort of community run shop selling seasonal local produce, organic, fair trade foods and conveniences one day?

It would be great to plant some trees as well as bulbs, to celebrate the Queen's Diamond Jubilee!

And glad to hear that the allotments will hopefully go ahead soon! ^

Edited by Sophie Hughes

Got it in hand for council assisted volunteer force to clear the bank at Avondale,but have had to pull plug on it now until after ducks finish nesting under the brambles. Have had to get permission from British Waterways (Health and Safety) and that has taken absolutely ages so have been overtaken by randy ducks! Once the scrub and brambles are cleared off then volunteers would be handy to keep it down. Don't think anyone wants pristine tidiness, there are things struggling to exist under the brambles, some beautiful snowdrops for example, and I think the Rosebay Willowherb is glorious on that bank; but there is an awful lot of dead stuff, scrub and rubbish underneath it all that needs to come out.

Somewhere I would like to see wildflowers or 'special' tree is at the top end of what will be the new car park in Gledrid. The new sculpture will be set on a plinth of polished steel so a wildflower meadow around it would make it look as if it was floating on flowers in the summer.

I have a bag of acorns from the Fairy Tree Old Oak which need to be planted up, They would truly be Jubilee Oaks. I am hoping that we can get into the allotments soon so I can plant them and see what comes up.

A wildlife group in Chirk Bank would be brilliant, there's lots to do.