Sign in to follow this  
Mabel

Why No news from St Martins

I am really enjoying the way this Forum is developing, and reading all the posts from members. But I wondered why there is so little from St Martins on the site. I was looking forward to hearing how the lantern parade went this year but nothing from anyone. I'm sure there is a lot happening in St Martins, for example what is happening with the Primary School and it's proposed move to Rhyn Park site? We'd all love to know what's going on in the village.

Sorry you think that no one seems to care from St Martins but I would like to point out the we have our own comprehensive website that is kept up to date and new items going on several time a week.

If you want to know of some of the things that are going on in St Martins please go to stmartins-online.org.uk. We get around 5000 hits a month on average that's not bad for a village and just to say to any local people that wants to publish anything on the St Martins website please email me on suescho@hotmail.co.uk usually things are posted within 24 hours but remember we don't carry any advertising as such but you can tell us about your business, group, club ect.. We can post your events and even put a link to your business website, so we are flexible.

Thanks very much suescho for telling me where there is some info about Ifton Lantern Parade. Could you do this as links so that peeps can go there from this site?

I.e. http://another st.martins website/71.html ( which is the photos from the Lantern Parade this year). I don't really want to have to come out of this site then go searching through St Martins Website, when links like this do the job. I am now using this site (ie com-online) as a sort of one stop hub and signpost to other sites and to whats going on in the area and really like that as it is quick and very convenient.

Also couldn't actually see anything on that site about what is happening with the primary school. But did find that information about a 3 parish water forum is there. Does this mean that this is an organisation that all 3 villages should know about, or is it a misnomer for a St Martins Water Forum. Seems to be about paying water bills? Could someone explain. I didn't know about this.

For anyone else reading this, then I should point out that the site that Suescho mentions is a village website for St Martins (not a Forum like this). There is similar information from Gobowen and Sellatyn on their Parish Council site

http://www.2shrop.net/Selattyn%20and%20Gobowen%20Parish%20Council

Both sites are very good and full of updated information.

Weston Rhyn has

http://www.westonrhyn-online.co.uk/home.htm

which has lots of information and links, (but at brief view the parish council page hasn't been updated recently; which is a bit unfair because other pages are up to date.)

None of these sites have forums like this one.

I think Mabel has hit the nail on the head with regards to the benefits of this site.

The beauty of a forum is that anyone can contribute and update material on there instantly. For me, the major benefit of this particular site is that it promotes inter-village socializing.

Mabel; I help to run a car forum that now has around 30,000 members. It's been going for around 8 years now. The first year or so we only had around 500 members. These type of sites generally take a few months before people even start using all of the sections. Word of mouth is obviously a big part of promoting the site so it can reach its full potential.

I look forward to reading updates across all three villages and hopefully the St. Martins users will sign up and post soon enough. Generally you do tend to see a higher influx of new members around Xmas and January as people have more time at home.

As I say, this site is all about getting the three villages talking to each other, which I think is great for the area.

Maybe an advert in the village mag is worthwhile?

Also, I assume you've put a link to this forum on the St. Martins online site Suescho? As surely with all those hits it's a good way to promote this site?

There will be some details about this site in the winter issue of the "Selattyn & Gobowen Parish Roundabout" which should be distributed (!) at some point before Christmas. I'll also stick something eyecatching on the Gobowen village notice board over the holiday.

...and another thing: We really should get more people posting events in the Calendar section. I've just spent some time doing this using information from the parish newsletter. The Calendar is an excellent tool for seeing what's going on across the villages and it should be possible to upload posters for events (it works for pdfs).

Well January now and nothing much is forthcoming from St Martins on this site. I have had occasion to look at St Martins Online this month and there seems to be something wrong with it and it doesn't appear to be that well updated. Quite a lot of times I tried to click on buttons that would take me to another place but nothing happened. There was nothing there about what is happening with Ifton Heath School. But, I was very impressed with a site that was listed on the main one and will put this into the general part of this site because I think that it seems a very useful site. This is called Disabled Holiday Information. I found it very informative.

You're right the website isn't the best, but then they do take a lot time and effort, for little or no return. They do rely to a certain extent for people to supply you with information.

Many of the pages are blank or out of date, so I certainly wouldn't say it was comprehensive. 5000 hits a month?? find that surprising, can't see over a 1000 people a week going to that site.

But, mustn't grumble, no one else has done such a site, so well done for getting one set up in the first place.