Sign in to follow this  
neo

YES to Wind Turbines.......

There seems to be a lot of talk, about YES to this, NO to that, in terms of energy supply from alternative and renewable supply. It's left me somewhat confused....

People don't want Coal\Oil fired power stations.

People don't want wind turbines in their nice country side, so the alernative is having them out to sea. The trouble with this is that our power distribution network is based on the land based power stations, so we need to move our pylons..... which leads to....

People don't want pylons in their nice country side.

People don't want nuclear power.

So back to my confusion, what DO people want? or is it a case of, we do want, as long as it's not in my back yard?

Edited by neo

Wind turbines are ok, but they are no very efficient, they only work unto a certain speed wind. Too strong and they have to be turned off. What we do have a endless supply of is waves along the coast line. There are much more effective power generators being developed to harness the power of the sea.

But the problem is the same as the sea based wind turbines... you need to distribute the power into a grid that was based on a land based power source.

Totally stupid idea from the start, they work only intermittently, when there is no wind or very bad weather they have to be switched off and put on the general electricity which seems a waste of taxpayers money. The only people who gain are the owners of the turbine or the land area built on, they are highly subsidised by us yet again via our bills. Have to think again! ;)

This isn't specific about wind power.... just thought the title might attract some response. 

My point was more that 'people' want to say NO to everything..... so what do they want?

People seem to be more concerned with visual intrusion than anything else. Nuclear power stations tucked away somewhere else might be preferred.  But I agree with Laura, the amount generated from windfarms doesn't add up to much, and viable to developers because of the big grants available.  This is an interesting site:  http://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/.  It shows how much is being generated by what in real time.  At the moment there is quite a healthy amount from wind farms, but in the winter there was hardly anything at all, and it was either still cold high pressure with no air movement or too windy to use the turbines.  What do people think of coal methane generation?  THIS is a probability in our area.