Sign in to follow this  
Maggie

Incredible Edible in our 3 villages

I am going after an Unltd grant to develop an 'Incredible Edible' movement in the 3 parishes. This is a community action to plant food plants into unused areas of the villages (e.g. like Aqueducks and CRT planting fruit trees along the canal for all to use)  This can be anything from herbs in planters to fruit trees and vegetables in spare plots of land.  They are then for the use of the people who live there,  Part of the project is about linking us back to where our food comes from, and teaching children about how food grows, and what is safe to forage.  It should reduce food costs and of course food miles for us all and every little helps the planet.  It will enlarge the varieties available to those of us who already forage for blackberries and damsons in the autumn. 

If you want to know more have a look at this wonderful video from Incredible Edible Todmorden where it all started. http://www.ted.com/talks/pam_warhurst_how_we_can_eat_our_landscapes.html

There is a facebook page for Incredible Edible in Shropshire http://www.facebook.com/IncredibleEdibleShropshire 

I need to get a group together, so can you respond here if you are interested or have ideas.  I won't be contacting anyone officially for permissions until the money comes through for obvious reasons, but we can all make a start now, thinking about what would be possible.  

Lets Make this another successful project from Community Online
Edited by Maggie

I've been invited down to London for a Big Local event called 'Growing It!.  I feel like country mouse going down to meet all the town mice, but hey I should learn a lot.  Will report back to community online.

Are you looking for "Green Spaces" in Gobowen?

There's one in Rowen Close

Another one in Meadow Way

Another one around West Place (risky though)

What about the end of Chirk Road by the Henlle junction?

And then there's all the land toward Watt's Drive.

I'm looking for people to get involved.  Really tired and just back from London, but seen lots and talked to people... Growing foodstuffs and eating them is an opportunity for people to learn, and take control over the source of something that intimately affects them... an opportunity to make steps towards an ethical use of the planet's resources.  I want to use this possible funding to show what can be done with a few quick wins, like planters of herbs and vegetables placed where people can use them and can help look after them (with support). I believe once people see what can be achieved they will want more!  There are amazing pots and containers of food around Islington in the most unlikely spots, making use of tiny spare bits of ground amongst tower blocks.  Realized very quickly that we had a lot of possible places to plant out here, but to start small and grow organically was the model!  We also need to be more considerate of the natural environment, e.g. plant cherry trees to support insects,

I'm not too keen on putting foodstuffs into environments with pollution such as beside busy roads,  These could be sites for wildflower planting, which is another possible project for someone.  

Pretty good. I've got the grant, so now looking to form a group of people so we can crack on with it.  Shropshire Council back the thing so there are opportunities for using some of their spare bits of ground.  I intend to start off with some meetings, watch this space.

I am inclined to think we need both Incredible Edible plantings for all to use, as well as small 'allotment' plots for individuals to grow food in, but lets see what people want!  

Comments please!

I spoke about the Incredible Edible project at the Big Local meeting last night, and tonight I am going to talk at Selattyn and Gobowen Parish Council's annual meeting.  I will start soon by having some open meetings, but, despite not really wanting to get going until the middle of next month, I have offers of help and useful ideas and spaces to plant and have seen loads of enthusiasm from everyone I have spoken to..  Do people want meetings in each parish?  and have people got ideas of spare bits of land we can use?  

Please let me know what you think, and join in because it should be a lot of fun. You can phone me on 773197

My plan is to use this summer for finding and clearing land and get a group formed, with some planting, but then to go for it next spring with fruit trees and food sprouting up all over the place.  Hope people agree with this.