Sign in to follow this  

The aftermath of Silo's death

The close of Silo, I think (and yeah, I'm maybe a little biased) has had a huge impact on the young people of Gobowen.

Not because they are missing the centre it's self (as most of the young people I've spoken to have never heard of Silo, I presume it closed well before they where teenagers or they have recently moved to the village) but because they are missing the ethos of the centre and the support it gave to so many.

I just hope the GreenRoom takes off and the resistance to let a much loved and underused Gobowen building wears off, because I reckon some amazing things could happen and the aspirations and out-look of some of the village's younger people could be significantly improved.

I can think of numerous examples of young peoples lives that were changed by Silo (mine included and I'm sure Liam Hope and Craig Emery will agree) but sometimes that's overlooked because sometimes as a community, I feel, we look at creating the prevention and not necessarily the cure. It's taken on face value and I truly think people massively under estimate the butterfly effect a welcoming place of warmth, influence, inspiration and activity can have on the lives of teenagers.

A high percentage of young people are stealing your garden gnomes and spraying willies on your walls because they're board senseless and under-valued... The other percent just think it's fun. :)

On a serious note; I think this GreenRoom idea is strong and should be regarded highly.

A Very moving and insightful response to some of the negativity around in the area towards young people. I wish the green room every success too. Glad to see that the LJC gave them some money. As I remember it the Silo also served as a centre for computing in the village and also supported older people too. Will there be a broadplace in Gobowen for everyone to use?

Silo News! Silo Central is still a Registered Charity with Trustees and posts it's accounts and AGM reports on line. Sitting here right now i can't give you the Silo Charity number but will do another time so that anyone who wishes to follow our activities and movement of money can do so. I am the Chairperson of Silo,slightly redundant now as Silo Central at Brook Buildings has been sold,but am supporting the Green Room project,because for the same reasons as Justin (my boy!) i truly beieve young people need a place to go,chill out and put forward better vibes than they are ever given credit for.

We have a funding committee (separate to Silo trustees) to whom requests for funding for youth orietated activities can be applied,groups or individuals. This will soon be made more public in a press release So far Silo has donated £1,500 to the Green Room Project,£1,500 to Gobowen Scout Group for a new boiler in the scout hut,and £450 to two young boys entering karate championships somewhere in europe-this was part of the funding they needed.The bulk of the money for the sale of Silo Central has been invested to gain interest in a yearly bond after we sought some financial advice,several thousands are in an account for more easy access and we are also hoping to fund a piece of play equipment on Gobowen Playing fields. Will post info also in Gobowen news.