Sign in to follow this  
Maggie

Raindrops on Roses..

As a contrast to grumblings and mumblings I thought it would be nice to talk about what makes us feel good about this area. So what makes me feel warm inside (besides Glenmorangie and Cheap wine).. difficult its much easier to grumble, I love the countryside around the area, particularly Ifton Meadows and Old Oswestry but also the Racecourse. I love the way going for a walk with the dog turns into a social event, I love the history of the area and the sense of pride that older residents take in their past plus the undercurrent of anarchy running through a lot of their stories. I love being able to grumble.

I used to love the fireworks up at the Quinta, but now we have the Lantern Parade in St Martins instead (usually with fire shows) which is usually brilliant (tonight, Saturday). I won't be able to go tonight, so hope someone tells us how it went. I don't know what the graham edwards trophy or the rose queen were, but they sound great. Why can't they be run again?

(and thanks for saving me from the men in white coats :D )

Oh yeh and I love the open countryside too. Went out with the dog this afternoon and such a pleasure to be in such beautiful surroundings without having to drive. Notice that ?Council are slowly renewing stiles too, Now I have just finished putting together a display for the OOLAP Archaeology Seminar tomorrow (or rather today, its late), and am really looking forward to hearing some interesting talks tomorrow but first I need some sleep.

craigemery...... maybe, just maybe, this forum will get like minded people together to organise some of the events you mention. It appears to me that there are a lot of people who say, I miss or I wish we had... and if they got together then we could put all these events back on.

I LOVE the history of this area, the great tales that you get told at local coffee mornings,there seems to be such a fantastic community spirit, where people are passionate about where they live and what happens to where they live. A truly beautiful place. (And whiskers on kittens)

Edited by Peter Harling

mm am new and just feeling my way but this whole thing feels like a brilliant idea. I'm 8 or 9 miles away but would like to think we might get something similiar going in this area (Ellesmere/Welsh Frankton parish). And find links to nearby community like overlapping ripples.

Yes I agree, we live and work in such a beautiful area just driving about can take your breath away, but underneath the "rural bliss" bits the layers of a quite different history make it all the more fascinating. Wonder what old colliers would have made of flaming bean cans and tissue lanterns in the rain?

And just maybe, possibly, all these cuts and changes we are experiencing will allow a people's revolution of our own, using community online instead of bloodshed.

Am probably in the wrong bit of the site . . . . . . . . . . . and feel a bit as though I'm butting in. Am I?

Welcome Sand and thanks for your useful comments. I'm sure we all regard this site as for anyone who is interested in our area.

The lantern parade is all about celebrating the miners, and remembering the closure of the pit in Nov 1968 by using lantern parade to symbolically represent the miners lamps and their journey to work. The lanterns are made at workshops in the local school and also in St Martins Centre where this information is put across. The main aim of the event is however to have fun. Usually ex-miners attend too.

This was an ex-mining area and a lot of its strength, survival of its community and political identity, and some bad things too, are because of the sort of close knit society that developed when most people worked in and depended upon the same workplace. It is not typical of Shropshire by any means and all the better for it in my opinion! It probably has a stronger similarity to villages on the Welsh side of the border.