sophsmiler

motorcross track

hi im trying to get funding and some where to do a motorcross track in the gobowen, oswestry area.alot of people think its stupid but i want to try and help people who are using the local playing fields as a track and younger people that cant travel to places to a proper track and to try and save a few lives as they risk them trying to escape from the police iv got alot of people trying to help me to do this can anyone please help with any advice thanks very much

sophie

post-1061-0-57925600-1349272897_thumb.jppost-1061-0-33053900-1349272906_thumb.jp these are the designs iv got in mind

Nice idea, but I think you'll get more resistance to the idea than support, especially if its close to any housing areas.

Also probably not a great sales pitch..... "save a few lives as they risk them trying to escape from the police"

Good luck though. :)

Neo its not a sales pitch its the truth alot of young lads die because of being on a motorbike on a field there not supposed to be on or on road with them and the police turn up to do there job but also scare the rider so they try to escape but if they had somwhere to go they would safer an so would everyone else. I know that the noice is a problem but il be doing it out of the way of houses and childeren. Thanks very much for the luck tho il need it x

I meant a sales pitch as in selling the idea, and you are looking for support so maybe asking people support of kids that trespass and evade the police is not a great start for selling the idea.

Just my 2 cents worth,

Edited by neo

I think it is a great idea Sophsmiler. You need to find some suitable plot of land, which has an owner who will support this, (isn't there any waste railway land around this area?) and then look for wider support in the villages, and then look for some funding. I agree, try Andy at Unltd, who maybe could give you some money to allow you to develop the idea. It's a lot of work, which is why you need a lot of support from other people. It might also be worth approaching BigLocal via the members part of this site, as a possible project for young people from the £1million. grant.

I saw a youth riding a mini bike without crash helmet up St. Martins Road in the dark this evening. No lights either! What a disgrace!!!

Why do these young people deserve any kind of help. All they do is break the rules.

I think hopefully the rule breakers are the minority and we shouldn't judge an entire age group by one irresponsibly person.

With the kind of projects sophsmiler is trying to get going, we can invest in the young people and the future of our community. Its a tough one though, I know I wouldnt want a load of motorbikes right by my house, and you probably wouldnt be allowed to be close to residential area because of the noise.

and rules are made to be broken, we wouldn't ever change and move forward as a society without rules being bent and changed. If you remember the basics about not causing harm and distress everything else is up for negotiation, always has been.

if they had some where to go then they woundnt be riding on the road or on the playing fields! and it woundnt be around any houses. every one breaks rules and laws no one is perfect.but thats why i want to help them or some one is going to get hurt. and they will b made to wear the right equipment aswell.

Take a quick look at the notice board on the Co-op. There's a scheme to give young people (25 and under) loans to get a business idea up and running. This could be good for you if you're prepared to push for it.

Good Luck! (from a very, very, very pushy person).

I saw a youth riding a mini bike without crash helmet up St. Martins Road in the dark this evening. No lights either! What a disgrace!!!

Why do these young people deserve any kind of help. All they do is break the rules.

I agree, I nearly ran over a youth pulling such a stunt earlier on in the year, driving around West Place and trying to undertake my car as I was driving past. Police were informed and the situation was dealt with, but I do see them regularly still doing what they do.

The same youths were caught stealing motorbikes from my house in broad daylight.... Maybe the cash spent on a racetrack could be better spent on more community police.

Even if they had a track to ride their bikes, would they be encouraged to use it? Some people just like the risk. I'm all for getting kids off the streets, but are they willing to be taken off the streets.

and the money will be out of my pocket if no one helps me to do this. its up to the police to hire more people.all im doing is helping youths an the police they have more important things to be doing other than chasing kids on bikes all the time and the kid your on about has not got a bike any more as a police car drove into him yesterday causing him injurys this is what needs to be stopped the police are getting fed up with it which i do not blame them at all but if they had a field to go on then they have no excuse for riding their bikes on road.

Edited by sophsmiler

Sorry but if you know the group of youths I am on about then you will know that it is not just bikes they are a nuisance with.... If they want a track then what are they doing about it? Why not get them involved in fundraising, writing letters etc.

They need to learn if they want something then they have to work for it and show people that they are comitted to the project. You say one got hurt yesterday? Well hopefully that will make them stand up and take responsibility for themselves. Not doing a lot for their own cause are they?

Knowing what I know about them does not make me want to help them at all, sorry but it doesn't...

I agree, I nearly ran over a youth pulling such a stunt earlier on in the year, driving around West Place and trying to undertake my car as I was driving past. Police were informed and the situation was dealt with, but I do see them regularly still doing what they do.

The same youths were caught stealing motorbikes from my house in broad daylight.... Maybe the cash spent on a racetrack could be better spent on more community police.

Even if they had a track to ride their bikes, would they be encouraged to use it? Some people just like the risk. I'm all for getting kids off the streets, but are they willing to be taken off the streets.

I applaud you sophsmiler for what you are trying to do, in fact I sent you a link to a possible source of funding, however only yesterday I had a very similar experience to Shelley and very nearly had a head on collision on the same estate with TWO bikes on the wrong side of the road, niether wearing helmets. I'm sure it's the minority that tarnish the reputation of the majority, but it is a very regular issue on this estate, which I am finding increasingly frustrating :(

Motorcycles have been my passion for almost 40 years, yet I strongly doubt that a motorcross track, somewhere near Gobowen will have any impact on the current group that are using childrens offroad motorbikes illegally, dangerously and antisocially in the village now. They are also, in my opinion , unlikely to use any 'legitimate' track due to the likely restrictions of that kind of venture- not least of which will be the need to transport machines by some other means. One would like to think that it could be their fathers, but their influence is notable by its absence from my observation.

However, if there really is sufficient demand, you will receive the support that you are going to need.

I wish you well.

and rules are made to be broken, we wouldn't ever change and move forward as a society without rules being bent and changed. If you remember the basics about not causing harm and distress everything else is up for negotiation, always has been.

Rules are made to be broken? Does this include riding at night with no lights, with no helmet, not obeying the law? you're right, some people wouldnt move forward as a society.... because they would probably end up being killed.

Edited by neo

I think most of you commenting are just bitching about the youths if uv got nothing nice to say or support do not comment! To every1 thats trying to help the young people of gobowen thank you they need to be guided to a better future and the track will be a proper motor cross track not just a field it will be built properly iv done motor cross for 13yrs i know what im doing and have the people to build it.i know the youths because i live in hammomds place and have done for 23yrs i knew most of them since they were babies and they dont get the help and support they need.

sophsmiler,

I think if you read the comments most people are actually in support of you and your ideas. I know from personal experience how difficult it can be to gain support of a project especially for young people when unfortunately the extreme minority will give an entire age range a stereotype.

I really do think you have a mountain to climb, but then if things were easy they wouldn't be worth doing right? I think you need a public display to show that the youth themselves are prepared to do something for themselves and you can win across the general public. There is financial support out there too, a few are mentioned above, UnLtd for example and possibly the Silo Central Trust fund and I also saw this today http://www.shropshir...-organisations/ and although I haven't read it in depth may be able to support your project.

And people talking about breaking the law so when you where YOUNG u never rode your push bike without lights on them at night time or drove a car with bold tyers or have done over the speed limit every one in there life time have broken the law i know i have and im not proud of it but it happens.i know that they are braking the law but if they had the support they need and the disciplin they it wouldnt happen but they are bored and there is not alot to do in this village

Edited by sophsmiler

I think you would stand a good chance of getting a grant from the source Lee pointed to because it is for supporting young disadvantaged people and sport particularly. What you need is a field that someone is happy to let you use for this. Do we have any offers or suggestions? Once you have that, then grants should be easier to get. There would seem to be a few regulars on community online who could help. But you need to find a suitable site first. Any ideas?

And people talking about breaking the law so when you where young u never rode your push bike without lights on them at night time or drove a car with bold tyers or have done over the speed limit every one in there life time have broken the law i know i have and im not proud of it but it happens.i know that they are braking the law but if they had the support they need and the disciplin they it wouldnt happen but they are bored and there is not alot to do in this village

As I mentioned in an earlier post..... comments like these aren't going to get you anywhere, and no I don't ride a bike without lights or drive cars with bald tyres. It endangers not only my life but of other people.

I really think your plans are way too ambitious, if, and thats a big IF you could get public backing, the cost of a project like this would be in the 10's of thousands.

Now how about this for an idea, and maybe a good starting point, what about a project about educating the young people on the dangers of their actions, offering support and maybe provided lights, helmets etc. Classes on bike safety and maintenance, trips to approved and properly run tracks and events. Maybe as a project and with some local experts you could set up a race team? Build and maintain the teams own bike. Just a thought.............