Sign in to follow this  
Kerry

Dangerous Drivers on Country lanes.

I've lived in Weston Rhyn for the last 10 months and have had quite a few near death experiences on the roads round these parts (Bronygarth and the back of the Quinta Estate being the most notable by far).

I do not know why people feel the need to speed on these country lanes, as walkers, horseriders and dog walkers also use these roads too. These thoughtless individuals needing taking to task about their speed and selfish ways and I am going to get on to the Council to see what can be done about the problem.

I moved here because I was led to believe that it was a safe place for my animals (the previous owner of our cottage lied about this issue and she will get hers) I have already lost one cat first week we moved here and have had one severley injured due to thoughtless drivers and he may have to be put to sleep if his condition worsens. Only last week I was nearly hit whilst walking my dog at the back of the Quinta, the guy nearly ploughed into us and we had to dive into the hedgerow and this is not the first time i've had dealings with speeders along that road whilst walking the dog and other dog walkers i've spoken to also have had instances of this happening to them.

If you are one of these drivers, you need to wise up and think on, theres not only you on the roads and what goes around comes around, maybe you might just lose a loved one or get injured yourself. I know that there are lots of sensible drivers out there and like anything these individuals are a minority. I feel strongly that this matter needs addressing.

I've lived in Chirk Bank for a long time now and couldn't agree more. The ignorance of drivers on country roads seems to have increased enormously over the last few years. I don't think they realize that a speed limit of say 30 mph isn't a minimum speed. Same with no speed limit, it is all about driving safely for the conditions and with due care for other users of the roads, and many drivers have forgotten that they are not the only users! I don't think new drivers get taught this any more, certainly my daughter was recently taught to drive at 30 mph through residential areas where she knew there were pedestrians and animals likely to be in the way, which surprised me to say the least (She has slowed down since passing her test). I hate it when local cats get killed or worse, badly injured, and every time I think about how it could so easily be a child.

I agree Maggie, we unfortunately live in a 'sod you jack' society, where people don't think of others in any given situation only their self. Only an hour ago I was travelling home from the vets and was doing less than 20 miles an hour on the country roads at the back of the playing fields in Weston Rhyn and some young lass in a silver car sped up out of nowhere right up to my bumper pushing me to hurry on, I slowed down even more, like my mum says 'why rush theres all tomorrow not touched'.

Thankfully I was taught to consider others and when I was taught to drive by an old school retired driving instructer, he taught me to drive considering people ahead of me, at the back of me and at either side of me be it on the roads or pavements. There seems to be a lot of Stirling Moss's around this area, who will probably be the one's crying loudest if owt happened to any of their own. Also if ever I (perish the thought) hit an animal, I certainly wouldn't leave it in the middle of the road or if injured I would certainly stop to assist. My cat had a collar and his name tag on and was left at the side of a hedgerow and must have been unconcious until he was able to drag himself home 4 days later. After nearly £500 of vet fees he's hopefully getting better, but its going to take a long while til he's right again and if he doesn't get feeling back in to his bladder and is incontenent forever, in the long run i'll have to have him put to sleep.

People are taught to drive at the speed limits as a demonstration that they know what they are.

Your driving speed is in not necessary an indication to your ability, I see some truly shocking driving from people, driving too fast and too slow.

Driving is all about common sense, most lanes will have the national speed limit of 60mph which in most conditions is too fast and due care and attention is required. However, I also think some people drive way too slowly.

Ultimately it's about bad driving and lack of applying some common sense, not just about driving "too fast"

I beg to differ Lee, when I was taught to drive the first thing my instructer told me was 'you are now in charge of a potential dangerous piece of machinery'. Skillful driving comes with age and experience, I've noticed a lot of boy racers round here and this is not only directed to the young uns and fast driving is an issue.

Agreed Common sense (which unfortunately seems to be going sparingly nowadays) is key, but also curteousy for others, not just other drivers but all people. I think driving fast is dangerous and show little regard for others and indeed themselves, it only takes one instance no matter how competent you think you are and its game over if not for you but for some other poor bugger.

As this is mostly a rural location and you have livestock, horses, tractors etc on the roads as well as cars, fast driving is remarkably stupid and speaks volumes of the person who feels the need to outwardly show their prowess on the roads and indeed what that person is lacking in everyday life.

Skilful driving does not come with age, I see a lot of truly appauling driving from people of all ages, the older generation included, many of which are also driving too SLOWLY for the roads.

Above all, people drive inappropriately for the conditions/surroundings and show lack of understanding of the rules and regulations of the road and their vehicles.

I was just highlighting that its not just about speed.

Again Lee I beg to differ. The speeders are more likely to cause accidents.

I'd rather drive at a slower speed and be late in this life than early in the next.

30 mph are just guidelines to adhere to, you can drive below that speed should you choose too its only a guideline as with the national speed limit on the country roads. I find the impatient, need for speed freaks are the greater risk, as who in their right mind would do national speed limit on say the bronygarth road or others around and about.... I do 20-25 mph along said road.

Skillfull driving does come with age as the years of driving makes the wise more adept at the skill and are less likely to be reckless, you obviously have encountered people who drive too slow for your liking possibly elderly drivers, who are more cautious when driving...... good for them probably why they've lived to a ripe old age and are still driving.

I disagree. just because they have been on the road for longer does not make them better drivers. the driving tests that people have to pass now are much harder than at anytime in the history of motor vehicles. The majority of older drivers were basically given a driving license. I would stake all the money I have in my pocket now that if these older, experienced drivers were forced to re take the test 99% would fail.