Geoff

Nuisance dogs

What can be done about dogs that are allowed to bark constantly.

I live near a 'pack' of dogs that are in a cage and bark almost 24/7. The owners are known to be unapproachable and violent so nobody feels willing to speak to them.

My other near neighbours are at their wits end over this. Any advice will be most welcome.

Geoff you can report to the council environmental health dept (if you've not already done so). Do you know if they are homeowners or tenants? If they are council tenants you can report to the local housing officer or if private then you can write to the landlord (assuming that you know who that it?)

Hi,

I live in the West Place/Hammonds place area......the dog barking is at epidemic proportions, it is constant all day long.....i.e. one stops, another one starts.

There are even night time yappers.

Dogs do not know they are doing wrong, its part of their nature.....What is wrong is the, anti social, and downright ignorance, of the owner of these dogs who allow is to happen without, attempting to stop it.

I have in the past reported a particular person, for actively encouraging their dog to bark....i was given a sheet to record the times and duration of the barking.

This was returned to the particular council department, and the owner was visited, and threatened with procecution.

The problem we have now...is the sheer number of barking dogs. One person would find it difficult to record the timings of every culprit.

What we need is the individuals who are neighbours...i.e. live within the close proximity of the offending animal. To obtain one of these record sheets and log the times and durations, of the barking.

Then the authorities will have a overall picture of the extent of the problem...

I'm sure that it isn't only me who finds this constant barking, a nuisance.

The contact information i have is.....Rob Bowland

Technical Officer - Environmental Health

01743 251873

rob.bowland@shropshire.gov.uk

Hi Newbies Above,

This is good news - to have other people on board. One of my neighbours will join us, they are just in West Place and we are in St Martins Road. There may be others who will co-operate. I will pass on the contact information this WE and then we can get something going. I agree with all the sentiments above and strength in numbers is always good. Any body else known to any of us with the same feelings could, maybe, also join us.

We should keep this thread going so we are all singing off the same hymn sheet. Maybe in a week or so we could get together and compare notes - again to ensure a common approach.

Good to know I am not alone!!

Update..........

Thanks for all the replies and advice. I have sent for a 'Dog Nuisance' pack from Shropshire CC. As soon as it arrives I will monitor and report back to here and SCC. Is anyone else doing the same around here?

Update 2.....

The address and link below is where to get the 'Dog nuisance reporting pack' from - they also need the address of the culprits and your telephone number. I have emailed today for a pack with all the info required. Follow up will be forthcoming.

Has anybody else sent for this pack?

Oddly, and it is early days, the noise seems to have diminished a lot; is this a coincidence or have the culprits taken heed from somewhere?

If you have not done so already, please send for the pack and follow it through.

Comments anyone?

Margaret Laming

Administrative Assistant

Public Protection and Enforcement Team

Bridgnorth

Tel No 01746 713221

Email: margaret.laming@shropshire.gov.uk

Web: www.shropshire.gov.uk

The story so far.

One of my neighbours spoke to the main culprits in West Place about the nuisance of their dogs and for a week there was near silence.

Prior to that happening I obtained a 'Monitoring Form' from the council. This duly arrived and was soon followed by a visit here by two council members on that team. They discussed the problem and went to the house to be aware of the location. At this time there was no perceived problem.

On talking to the council people it was obvious that I am alone in taking this problem further as nobody else had applied for the paperwork.

Why do people complain and then are not prepared to do any thing about it?!

Since the passing of the above events the noise has returned to its previous levels. I am now monitoring the occurrences and intend to follow it up with the Council and hopefully get the problem stopped in any way possible.

Am I still to be alone in this or are others in this area going to join me?

Hi Lee

As people can use a pseudo or sign in anonymously, anonymity should not be a problem.

My problem is with people that put a post here, to moan/complain/explain, and then not follow through but expect others to do it for them.

There is strength in numbers. We should join forces and help each other.

Hi Geoff

I sympathise with your plight. I have dogs but work really hard to ensure they're trained not to bark. They play and play-bark very, very occasionally, but they're discouraged from anything else. It's totally anti-social to allow your dogs to do that. Any of my neighbours with dogs must feel the same because we don't seem to have the problem you do.

This is just a supportive message as I see you haven't had any others. I wish you all good luck in sorting out this problem. It must be awful.

Best wishes

C

Hi C

Thanks for your message and support. I hope with the input from the Council the problem may soon be sorted. There is no such thing as bad soldiers (dogs) only bad Generals (owners).

Regards

Geoff

Hi Geoff,

You are not alone in relation to the barking dogs..

I am actually waiting for a form to be sent from the council.

Although there are several dogs barking at different times of the day.

There is one specific to me, that is let out very early, so as to give

everyone an early call....

I get up for work at 6am, and its starts before i get up.

We all need to join forces with this and nip it in the bud.

I'm not saying that all the owners are selfish anti social people,

in fact i dont think they actually hear their rover barking...

It is just a background noise they get used too.....But there are one or two who dont actually

care.

Allan