Simple Simon

Proposed New Zebra Crossing in Gobowen

I've seen some plans for the proposed new Zebra crossing in Gobowen that will cross the road between the Post Office and the Co-op.

Although I recognise that there is a strong need for a crossing, I would advise caution. Situating a pedestrian crossing so close to the level crossing could cause a nasty accident, especially if longer vehicles are backed up onto the railway line waiting for people to cross.

I would advise decision makers to approach RailTrack, the Highways Agency and the Derwen College.

I think this could end up being a very bad and dangerous idea putting a crossing that close to the railway. Also that you are placing the crossing on a T-Junction which means you could have three directions of possible traffic!!!

I don't think anything too terrible has ever happened on that road in the whole 24 years I've been living in the village. Of course we could make it out to be a safety issue, but we could do that with cats falling from lamp-posts, lawn mowers going rogue and other half cocked ideas.

So people have to wait a little while for traffic to pass, it has never been a problem before.

My opinion is: If it isn't broken, don't waste time, effort and (most importantly) money fixing it!

It won't work by Temperance House, I can't see people from the post office, pub, railway walking (across another road) to get to the crossing. They will take the chance across the road as they do now.

They only place it can be is the proposed position, but as Justin says is there a need..... but do you want until there is a serious accident until you decide you need a crossing?

I've also seen the plans for the new Zebra crossing in Gobowen that will cross the road between the Post Office and the Chinese take away,which will eliminate the choice of where to cross. Placing a pedestrian crossing so close to the level crossing and station car park entrance a T-Junction and parking for the post office. which gives you five directions of traffic to contend with plus cars parked outside the Co op and a Bus stop a very dangerous position. I think the money would be far better spent on traffic calming measure's like those on Morda road in Oswestry.

The reason so many people have to cross Station Road is that almost all of the main shops in Gobowen are located there!

Many years ago the local grocers was on the corner of Bypass Road. Today the building is unused and in a terrible state. It should be torn down and a new Co-op should be built on the site. There's so much more room for the store, parking and space for deliveries. It's also very close to the existing zebra crossing.

The existing Co-op building could be split into individual business units or small shops.

This came up at LJC last night. A discussion ensued. It was pointed out that a zebra crossing would reduce the amount of car parking space available outside the Coop and that people parking there anyway would then be obscuring the zebra crossing; a question was asked about how this would be policed.. Cllr David Lloyd stated that safety advisors had looked at options and determined that there would be no problems with putting the crossing here, and that they saw no worries about traffic backing up across the railway crossing because there was enough space to cope.

Will make it interesting to say the least when impatiant drivers partially cross the track! the age old question of who would win a fight car or a train!!, my money is on the train!. Can allways rely on the council to make things more dangerous!!!.

A zebra crossing is a bad idea, thought up by well meaning but irresponible pressure groups.

Why is it bad?

1. The proposed route is on a corner served by a bus route.
  2. The route across the road (if by the shortest route) will eliminate parking outside the Co-op and the Cross Foxes because of the restrictions imposed by the 'zig-zag' lines. This will have the effect of reducing the likelehood of people shopping in the local shops.
  3. The danger of a rail accident is very real. Motorists have scant regard for the box junction on the railway crossing and sooner rather than later there will be an accident.
  4. Because of the above motorists will park in dangerous places to gain access to local amenities.

It is time for our local Council to approach the County Council and demand a proper survey of this proposal, not, as I suspect a survey done from an office in Shrewsbury.

Another poster commented on the need for this crossing given that there has not been an accident in 24 years - if it ain't broke don't mend it!!

Think about it. Why cause a problem when one does not exist.

I urge you to pressure our Council into action for the locals and the local community, not to bow to pressure groups in order to get themselves a pat on the back.

The 'bus stop bit' of the layby is no longer a bus stop so parking there is not a problem.

I feel the whole junction needs sorting - what, for instance, is that bit outside the dentist for and could it be removed to make the bus drivers' lives easier. As someone else posted 'trust the council to make things more difficult'.

Perhaps the shopkeepers should be informed of the pending problem of parking.

I understand that there has been a longstanding campaign by various vocal individuals to get some kind of "official" crossing put across the road, so if there are any people that think it's not such a good idea...well, you'd better pull your fingers out because it looks as if it's going ahead.

I first heard about this last June. Some people would very much like to see the crossing because almost all of the shops in the village are on the other side of THAT road.

It's not that these schemes are hidden, it's just that information isn't communicated to the people that it may affect. For instance, the elderly and people representing the Derwen college will welcome a crossing...but there may be knock on effects to the shops in light of reduced parking. In my humble view, I would suggest that...the Gobowen Working Mens Club, Spencers, The Sandwich Bar, Signature Smiles, the Chip Shop, Arriva, Whistles, the Chinese Takeaway, the Post Office, The Cross Foxes and Audreys will all be effected by a pedestrian crossing. Have any of these establishments been consulted, bearing in mind that the scheme is designed to help residents access these establishments.

I have also heard that Shropshire Council (?) may start to charge for cars using the station car park.

I agree with all the comments on the reduced parking, but my main worry is how safe it will be to use! I also think people will park anyway, even with parking restrictions which will make the crossing even more unsafe. any comments on the zebra crossing I think needed to be at shirehall by the 14 of February