Sign in to follow this  

BIG LOCAL 1 MILLION LOTTERY GRANT

Better traffic routes help the old, the young and the middle aged. The canal links Weston Rhyn to St. Martins and Gobowen. And Gobowen links to Oswestry via the old railway line.

Anyway, stop trashing me. Let someone else come up with another idea.

Next pleez....

@keith, the route Simple is talking of would indeed be in Gobowen and would hopefully join to an Oswestry route. The is a pathway ( not sure if its a cycle route) from st.martins so people coming from there could join the path in Gobowen and go from there traffic free to Oswestry, right down into the industrial estates.

Trafic controlling measures are needed in all three villages for different reason and needs, I think each Parish Council should pursue this for their respective villages.

What does this area need..... Paid, energetic, resourceful and capable young men to inspire the youth of the 3 villages, to get involved in the communities. A Youth Worker that can work with the youngsters in activities that would not only give something to the community but to inspire a sense of community pride and pride in themselves as well as increased self-esteem. It seems to me that a vast majority of the Youth do not have any ambition to achieve anything and are short of good role models outside of the home.

Weston Rhyn have a great role model in Lee who runs the youth club and they all seem to look up to him, whether for his interesting job, his active lifestyle or his cool car!

(and shame on you Sue, why only male role models?, Girls in our area also need to know there is a whole lot more to life!)

Apologies to all the female role models out there. My only excuse is that when making general comments, I refer to man/men/boy in the wider sense of the word meaning mankind which includes girls.

Yes, Lee a brill mrole model, was it you I was thinking of when I made that comment!

The latest press release from the Bog Local:

Three Parishes Big Local – bringing £1m Big Lottery funding to Gobowen, Weston Rhyn and St Martins over 10 years - has made good progress over the last couple of months.

We’re developing two ‘pilot’ projects which are intended to show how Big Local will be able to bring benefits which will be shared across the three communities. One will help people to improve their IT skills, so that they’re better able to apply for jobs online, and prepare CVs which they can send in to prospective employers. The other would set up a car-sharing scheme, which could make it easier and cheaper to get to work or to leisure activities.

Our first ‘Business Breakfast’ took place at Henlle Park Golf Club on 16th October, and the next one will be at the same venue on Tuesday 11th December. Business people from all three communities are welcome, and there is no charge. Please contact David Boyce, Big Local Co-ordinator, if you’d like to attend.

Our next public meeting will take place at St John's Church Weston Rhyn on Tuesday 4th December at 7.30pm. We’d like as many people as possible to come, to help us answer the Big Question – ‘ What do you want our three communities to be like in 10 year’s time ? ‘ We’ve already got some answers from the consultations which were carried out last year, but we want some more detail so that the Delivery Group can start to write the ‘Community Vision’.

We’d also like to find some Big Local Community Champions to help spread the word, and find some people who’d like to learn how to be Community Journalists. Finally, we intend to show off the design of our Big Local website.

David Boyce, the Big Local Co-ordinator, can be contacted to answer any questions before or after the meeting either by email at:- d.boyce@qube-oca.org.uk, or by phone on 07749 – 786544.

I attended the LJC Meeting last night and mention was made of a car sharing scheme because people had highlighted the problem of transport.

I do realise that David Boyce and the Big Local team are trying to set up small scale projects that will provide immediate, measurable results but...a car sharing scheme will not help with escalating transport costs in the long term. In my opinion, this is just tinkering around the edges of a really BIG problem.

I say again to David: I want the whole £1 million for the traffic free route to Oswestry. If no one will come up with any decent ideas I will bid for the lot.

Didn't I also see that the Big Local group applied for money from the LJC? Did it get awarded?

Not knowing how the whole process works but..... that doesn't make sence does it? The group that has access to £1million gets money from the LJC??

Good afternoon,

Simple Simon is absolutely right about escalating transport costs being a really big problem - will a traffic - free route into Oswestry help people get to work in Chirk, or Wrexham Industrial Estate, or Rednal Industrial Estate, if they haven't got their own transport, I wonder. A car-sharing scheme might help people in that position.

Big Local doesn't have access to any of the £1m until the BL partnership is set up, and the Community Plan is written, saying how the money will be spent. That is starting to happen now. Until then, any small-scale 'pilot' projects have to use money from other sources - £600 from LJC in this case, to run some support sessions to help people use the new online jobsearch system which jobseekers now need to use. If they're successful, these could then be included in the Community Plan and be supported long-term using some of the £1m.

Come to the Big Local Public Meeting, St John's Church, Weston Rhyn - Tuesday 4th December, 7.30pm. Help to start writing the Community Plan, become a Community Champion or a Community Journalist.