Simple Simon

Street and Road Problems?

The new Zebra Crossing in the village seems to be working fine, but are there any other street problems that need some attention.

I know the school has always had a problem with traffic on School Lane and there are parking issues for the church on St. Martins Road.

Are there any other problems? This could include the state of pavements, rat runs, pot holes, poorly repaired pot holes, bad driving, bad cycling, poor road signage, poor parking, street lighting...anything. Air and share...

speeding through Gobowen past the playing fields and also past the school on the old A5 is a problem. as for parking on the st Martins road out side the Chapel, the gates are left open on the playing field car park with more than ample parking, but having said that parking outside the chapel does slow the traffic down, but is also dangerous.The ball being kicked out of the MUGA on to the the road outside the playing as caused a few near misses.

Driving slowly through Gobowen is a rare skill. Whenever I come through Gobowen at 25-30 (past the playing fields towards St. Martins) I seem to have people trying to see if their car can fit up my exhaust. It's as though people think they have to be doing 40 to get up the hill!

I don't think the zebra crossing is too bad to be honest. It definitely needed something there, but I do wonder if it would have been better if it was past the T-junction opposite the shop instead of before it.

The position was almost a no win affair. The fact that the Kebab/Chicken place has gone and the Silo Youthclub means the main traffic of pedestrians is probably where the crossing has been positioned.

I also noticed a new sign on the Hart and Trumpet side of the crossing stating not to enter the crossing area without a clear site of your exit, or words to that effect, which I think was peoples main concern with the crossing positioning.

Parking is a problem in Gobowen, especially illegal parking.

The car park for the library has been taken over by a group of nearby residents who also park on the pavement and about 10 feet from the junction. This often causes people from the sheltered housing on mobility scooters to leave the pavement as there is no room for them to pass the parked vehicles - usually large vans. This has been reported to the Police (whoever and wherever they are) but to no avail as the practice carries on.

Parking outside the church on St Martins Road is also illegal - near junctions and on a bus route etc.

Will anything be done? Probably not.

The parking of often untaxed vehicles, usually on bricks, in Fernhill Lane is not only illegal but a constant eyesore. Theres one actually parked there today.... I know the locals have complained to the authorities many times without any action being taken.

If it happens in a large town or city, or even just over the border in Chirk or Plas Madoc, the vehicles are removed from the streets so why not in Gobowen?

Edited by Microman

Untaxed vehicles is a matter for the police or even given Crimestoppers a call 0800 555 111

I assume if they are taxed and insured then I am not sure what can be done. Trouble is we have no rights to the road even right outside our property.

The locals have called the local constabulary/authorities many times but feel very let down indeed.

The vehicles are not displaying valid tax discs and IF untaxed are most likely uninsured....

Today we have one up on bricks/tyres with one of Idrys Roberts old trailers parked behind it.

Its looking more like Chapmans scrapyard than a residential area.

Edited by MarkB

Thanks for the link...

I know the untaxed vehicles in Fernhill Lane have previously been reported by local residents using the DVLA website, again it seems to no avail.

Well lots of people read this site.... so you never know :ph34r:

It seems that posting here is more productive than picking up the phone to the authorities...Soon after the posts were made a vehicle was actually removed from Fernhill Lane.Is this a mere coincidence?

Again, seeing the posts above; including mine, we have an absent police force in Gobowen - I wonder why we pay for them!!!

yes I have to agree,since simon clark retired the village does seem to have been forgotten by the police.simon knew the village inside out,he knew the trouble makers and kept a lid on their activies,but most important of all he held the respect of the village.In my opinion his retirement although greatly earned is a huge loss to the village.

The new Zebra Crossing in the village seems to be working fine, but are there any other street problems that need some attention.

I know the school has always had a problem with traffic on School Lane and there are parking issues for the church on St. Martins Road.

Are there any other problems? This could include the state of pavements, rat runs, pot holes, poorly repaired pot holes, bad driving, bad cycling, poor road signage, poor parking, street lighting...anything. Air and share...

I love living in Gobowen but the problem here is staying alive!   I  live on the B5069 (St. Martins Road) and am appalled at the reckless speeds at which so many drive.

I am a  keen cyclist (and car driver) but cycling on this road is so dangerous that I have given up using it  for cycling.   The speed restriction signs and normal limits are ignored by the majority of drivers and I imagine that the only way of improving the situation would  be by way of installing cameras at strategic locations.   Sadly it seems that the cost of so-doing outweighs the potential benefit of saving lives;  although I would have thought from the standard of driving which I observe, day in and day out, that they would provide a fortune for the Council.   Of course my comments apply to most of the roads in all areas.

Back to the tow paths along the canal which are lovely for pleasure cyling but not much use to many who want to cycle to work.   On a happier subject Iam looking forward to better weather so that I can enoy another happy ride to Llangollen.

Regards to  everyone,

Rob

Back to the tow paths along the canal which are lovely for pleasure cyling but not much use to many who want to cycle to work.   On a happier subject Iam looking forward to better weather so that I can enoy another happy ride to Llangollen.

Regards to  everyone,

Rob

Me to!

Has anyone else noticed a whacking great dip in the St. Martins Road on the left side just as you get into Gobowen?

I just hope it punctures the tyres of all those drivers who exceed the speed limit!

This is a rather late reply for which I apologize.   There are still so many these days that I can't differentiate one from the other!

I heartily endorse your wishes for the many drivers who exceed the speed limit and just wish the police would patrol the roads during morning and evening rush hours.  Being selfish I am particularly concerned with the B5069 which I observe daily to be a death trap and on which I fear there is a tragedy waiting to happen.

Of course the School section should have priority control, but many motorists seem to want to use the road as a speedway once they approach the hill up to Rhewl and the de-restriction sign towards St. Martins.    Coming into the Rhewl area from St. Martins many drivers are greatly exceeding the speed limit and don't slow down until they see the new speed warning light by the playing fields.

I no longer ride my bike on this dangerous road and prefer to push it along the footpath (rather than risk a £1000 fine which I certainly could not afford) until I reach the country lanes or the Canal.  This, of course, is very limiting and precludes using my bike for many other trips.

Groan groan!