Sign in to follow this  
Maggie

Grumblings and Mumblings

Thought it might be good to have a thread where we could let off steam about local stuff that gets us cross! Some suggestions could be Gledrid Roundabout, Potholes in the road, oh I don't know, but can we try not to be too negative, and suggest ways to put things right as well as grumbling. Maybe we could have a league table for the longest wait to get out onto Gledrid Roundabout! What d'ya think?

There was something in the Shropshire Star last week about dangerous road accidents in Oswestry, which pointed to a web site called crashmap.co.uk. You can look at the roads around Weston Rhyn too, and obvious spots for accidents show up. What is really clever is that they show the minor accidents too, and that way it is clear that some places are really dangerous with lots more minor accidents that I wasn't aware of as well as the headline making ones, such as Gledrid Roundabout. Other places have clusters of accidents around them that are classed as minor, such as outside Weston Rhyn School. I wonder if this means that outside the school is just statistically a serious accident waiting to happen or what. It always scares me to drive past the school at school picking up time and I'm dreading the dark days of winter.

Outside the school can be a bit of a nightmare, but its for such a short time of the day, maybe 20 - 30 minutes each day. People just need to be more aware, park sensibly and use common sense. Its also light at the drop off/pick up times.

The section of road out the post office, take away etc is far worse. Sometimes you just have to "go for it" as you can't see up the road to see if your route is clear to overtake all the parked cars.

Cars around the shop/mini roundabout can be hazardous, people seem to forget how roundabouts work when they are mini ones. Parking around the shop at times is simply shocking, total lack of awareness that their parking is causing problems for other road users. Don't the hashed boxes mean No Parking???

From my knowledge though, I believe there aren't many incidents in Weston Rhyn, I may be wrong though.

You are correct Lee. The crashmap site has 3 accidents along that stretch by the Post Office and takeaway, 2 minor in 2005 and 2008 and a serious one in 2009. One problem that I would like to grumble about is that there is never enough space to park up at the top end of the village. There are usually lots of cars all around the roundabout outside the Institute. Driving up through the village can be slow and you need all your wits about you and eyes in the back of your head. Somewhere off the road to park would be a help.

Has anybody noticed the problem with the roundabout in the centre of Gobowen village?

There are a series of signposts on top of each other at the junction of Bypass Road (from Whittington) that are positioned down to the millimetre to obscure traffic coming on to the roundabout off of St. Martins Road.

There does seem to be a problem with roundabout design in the area.