caduceus17

Old rail track for a cycle route: Gobowen to Oswestry?

I saw in last week's Oswestry & Border Chronicle that a suggestion has been made that the old railway route from Gobowen to Oswestry could be turned into a cycle track. A Gobowen resident, Nigel Thomas, has apparently written to Whittington Parish Council about it. If it was possible to make such a track it sounds to me like a great idea. What do others think?

I like the idea of a cycle route from Gobowen to Oswestry. A cycle route down to the Maesbury road industrial estate and maybe beyond would be fantastic for people travelling to work.

There was talk of a Oswestry "Green way" but I believe it would run from the A5 to Oswestry only, and there lies a problem, how do you get across the A5? under or over? This route across comes at a price which will be the big stumbling block.

An option would be to route a path up the side of the A5, and then there is a tunnel under the bypass and out by the Whittington roundabout. This would provide a route to BT, the Venue etc. This again has problems with who owns this land and at what would a cycle route through it cost??

Using the railway for a cycle track is an idea already in progress with Sustainable Transport Group (see link above under 'Topic').

This will be very expensive as the track will need to be fenced, as far as I understand it from The Sustainable Transport Group; whether trains run or not! There is already a cycle/pedestrian track from opposite Morrisons up the Gobowen Road. It would not take much work to extend this to the A5 end of Gobowen Road (a tarmacced footpath already exists). Once accross the A5 the footpath to Gobowen could be improved and widened to accomadate pedestrians and cyclists. The tunnel option is a good one and could be investigated, but the option above could be instigated very quickly and relatively cheaply.

Edited by Geoff

There's a direct, traffic free route (apart from the bypass) into the centre of town and beyond, down into the industrial centre of the area. It is currently rotting away, unused. It is owned by you and me, council tax payers.

would i be allowed on this cycle route with my sinclair c5 would save on battery power if i colud :D

The comments continue about cycling to Oswestry. There is a Cycle/Pedestrian way to Oswestry already. It just needs upgrading and changing to one side of the road once over the A5. The cost and impracticality of a track along the railway is far outweighed by the above suggestion; which could be completed in a matter of weeks. You/we; the cyclists, cannot expect to never encounter a vehicle when out cycling, we have to all be in the same road ststem with improvements as and where possible. Perhaps if some pressure were to be put on the 'council' to sort the existing route this ongoing bleat will go away.

Geoff, I think "this ongoing bleat will go away" is a little harsh, its obvioulsy something a lot of people feel strongly about.

I ride thousands of miles a year and niave to think we should not expect to never encounter another vehicle. I have also ridden a lot of cycle routes around towns and city's some people have really embraced the idea and its impressive to see. The route is not just getting from A to B and not just about cyclists. Oswestry could have something really great here.

As we are talking about cost and impracticality lets just compare this to a railway...... If it were me, I would put to sleep any idea of opening a rail route and get a cycle/pedestrian route moving.

OK, so 'bleat' is a bit OTT but if we want something soon we will have to compromise. The railway route i still think is not on, nice though it may be, because of the cost. The route is already there; which I have used many times, and needs sorting. The Sustainable Transport Group did not know about it when I mentioned it at their inaugural meeting - so no change there from the Shropshire lot! Poor research as usual.

Let's push for a good upgrade on the existing route (bridge or not) and make that way more useable for cyclists and pedestrians.

There is NO money for any upgrades. Shropshire Council are not going to spend money on upgrading a route for cyclists and walkers when they're closing down schools, selling off land land and property.

The money comes from the private sector. They must be made to see what an investment opportunity exists along the route.